Thermalright HR-05 SLI on expert board does NOT fit

aerospyke

I have sli-dr expert and I'm worry about fitting HR-05, because i wanna buy radeon x1950pro powercolor ---> stock fan is accelero x2 which is quite big..will it fit without issues ? and what about Asus 1950pro ?

I don't know how are these two coolers noisy, but i don't expect anything supersilent...so mabey i'll make some homemade cooling which probably fill two slots too..

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks good aerospyke ;)

I have sli-dr expert and I'm worry about fitting HR-05, because i wanna buy radeon x1950pro powercolor ---> stock fan is accelero x2 which is quite big..will it fit without issues ? and what about Asus 1950pro ?

I don't know how are these two coolers noisy, but i don't expect anything supersilent...so mabey i'll make some homemade cooling which probably fill two slots too..

I had an AcceleroX2 on my X1800Xt a while back. the card was definitely quieter than the stock cooler, but performance was still on part with it. If going with an air cooler I wouls definitely recommend a Zalman VF900-Cu. It was much better performance, not too many compatibility issues (none that I know of off hand), and it comes with a FanMate controller to quiet it down when needed. Actually, I run mine at full speed and can't tell a difference with it over a stcok AMD cooler fan and 3 other 120mm's.

well here are two pictures, one of the general area, and one dead on so you can see the positioning of the cooler and the GPU in relation to the chipset.

thnx for pics, but there is HR-05 SLI i was thinking about non sli version

i can't imagine combination of dual pci cooler and HR non sli version, because I think it will be really tide...:/

with HR sli version and Expert motherboard i can't use crossfire, becauese heatstink covers one of the pci 16x slot, and one pci (for long cards) ?

I originaly thought that i can't use HR-SLI version with long card at all... but pics makes me happy :)

with HR non-sli I can CF but i can't use dual pci cooler.. true? mabey if i would turn the heatstink little bit, there could have been enough space for dual pci cooler (but one pci-16x slot unusable)?

I'm really confused about sli ond non sli version, i don't know whats better for me :/

Looks good aerospyke ;)

I had an AcceleroX2 on my X1800Xt a while back. the card was definitely quieter than the stock cooler, but performance was still on part with it. If going with an air cooler I wouls definitely recommend a Zalman VF900-Cu. It was much better performance, not too many compatibility issues (none that I know of off hand), and it comes with a FanMate controller to quiet it down when needed. Actually, I run mine at full speed and can't tell a difference with it over a stcok AMD cooler fan and 3 other 120mm's.

But there is huge issue about cooling VRM chips on x1950pro... i can't use Zalman without some kind of massive heatstinks od VRM chips, and its not easy to make funcional passive for these little bastards...

I have silent PC, only 3 nexus fans@800rpm, and homemade silent box for disk, every another fan in my case is not welcome! :/ i heard about asus cooler on x1950 is around scythe or noctuna at 900rpm, it is acceptable, i hope its truth.. i saw Powercolorx1950 review and they compared accelero with asus stock cooling solution.. accelero was louder than asus on idle, but vice versa on full load [accelero has better temperatures at all cases]

but here is no problem with higher temperature of core.... overlocking of this card sucks anyway...you can't make huge increase on core even with really strong cooler, so thats why i'm looking for noiseless solution instead of powerful..

sorry for little OT :)

thnx for pics, but there is HR-05 SLI i was thinking about non sli version

i can't imagine combination of dual pci cooler and HR non sli version, because I think it will be really tide...:/

with HR sli version and Expert motherboard i can't use crossfire, becauese heatstink covers one of the pci 16x slot, and one pci (for long cards) ?

I originaly thought that i can't use HR-SLI version with long card at all... but pics makes me happy :)

with HR non-sli I can CF but i can't use dual pci cooler.. true? mabey if i would turn the heatstink little bit, there could have been enough space for dual pci cooler (but one pci-16x slot unusable)?

I'm really confused about sli ond non sli version, i don't know whats better for me :/

unfortunately i can't help you with a dual slot cooling system, as i bought my card that model in particular because it only had a single slot cooler in the first place. All i can do is speculate with a ruler and such. How far down the card does the dual slot cooler come down to? (i.e. 20cm etc) I will check it out using a ruler when i get home and measure clearance from the heatsink to the board itself (not the cooler), so you can measure that way.

why would i scrap the PCI cooler mate? It helps cool both the graphics card and the chipset fins (i get another 5-6C drop out of it being on low blowing on it)

IMO it adds more noise, and without it u can fit the cooler :)

but if u like it, go for it ;)

i got a 120 fan blowing from the front and thats enuf to supply fresh air to the PWM and chipset....

IMO it adds more noise, and without it u can fit the cooler :)

but if u like it, go for it ;)

i got a 120 fan blowing from the front and thats enuf to supply fresh air to the PWM and chipset....

I only turn it on when i'm gaming and so have my speakers/headphones on and can't hear it. Its main purpose is to keep the memory chips cool, as when i'm gaming they're fine, but when worked, they get toasty. I have a 120mm ont he front of the case blowing along which works well and another on the side blowing on the PWM's as you can see in the photo. Amazing how well a slow moving fan can keep the sinks on the PWM's cool when they are so hot otherwise !!