Page file or No Page File?

allthatwhichis

57 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes.
    • No.
    • What's page file?

My point to the "?" in the 3G thread was, would optimizing yout page file, ie making it a certain size on a certain drive, possibly cause an instability with ram refresh rates, or something, and throw an error in Prime? If yes, then I would think turing it off would help. But it brings up CharmedLover84's argument, just backwards, if it's stable without a swap file, but no stable with one, is it really stable?

optimizing your pagefile to certain sizes (ie like I always make mine min/max 2048MB) has absolutely ZERO to do with system stability.

the pagefile itself has zero to do with system stability other than a program looking for it and finding you don't have one (which would cause an error/BSOD/etc).

the pagefile has ZERO to do with RAM or RAM refresh rates or cpu voltages or anything of that nature.

the pagefile has ZERO indications of stability or instability other than if your system is not stable, your pagefile will not (most likely) function properly (ie: since your system is unstable)

if it is stable without a swap file but unstable with a swap file, you have other problems going on that need to be addressed.

I'll repeat it once more (and it isn't an opinion):

Pagefile has zero to do with stability unless you system is already unstable, or you have a crapped-out hdd that is trying to write to a damaged area of the hdd where the pagefile is located.

If you think your pagefile being enabled is causing problems, you should probably do a serious long test with your hdd mfg's utilities to see if there are any damaged areas of the drive.

Page file optimization is seriously a key factor. Setting up a page file manually, and then tweaking it a bit in the registry has definitely helped my computer's performance. I didn't really notice it at first, but on one of my 3 windows installs (I wipe and re-install about once every 3-6 months) I decided to test out not optimizing one.

Their are a few threads around here regarding paging, and their are quite a few pages on the web. Sorry I'm too lazy to link you up.

I think having the PageFile on a seperate physical disk away from the OS and game directories a better option.

Yep, best to have the PF on another disk/controller so it can work without having to slow the OS/running program data.

I always set to 500 MB and if windows/running program needs more it gets it