Why "quality" DFI board has diff "quality" RAM slo

As topic :confused:

How can we fans get maximum out of it if 2 of the 4 RAM slots are of lower quality? Best RAMs are usually low capacity (MAX 512mb per piece) only...

Any issues using 4 sticks of memory have nothing to do with the mobo.

The mem controller is on the CPU so if there's a problem then it's with the cpu.

Not entirely true, the board will play a major role with running 4 sticks of memory. That being said I haven't had any trouble getting 4 sticks of memory running in the expert 4 X 512 or 4 X 1024, it's all in the setup paying special attention to drive and data drive strengths

There is a difference between the two pairs of slots but it has everything to do with the capabilities of the DFI boards.

I have run four 512MB sticks at 312FSB with tight timings on the Lanparty nf4 Expert so it can be done.

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...220&postcount=8

These boards are designed to give you maximum performance with a pair of RAM sticks in Dual Channel. That's the bottom line.

But! As CPDMF said, if you want to run four sticks of RAM you really should be willing to put the time and effort into locating the proper RAM while working to get the timings just right or look at another motherboard that doesn't offer the performance of the DFI boards.

DFI stressed that orange slot offer better compatibility with tight timing compared to yellow slot. It is written clearly at very first few front pages of the manual before introduction of the board.

Q: How can I obtain good performance on an overclocked system?

A: Insert two identical broad bandwidth memory in DIMM2 and DIMM4. (orange)

Also in memory installation page, it writes:-

"When modules are inserted in DIMM1 and DIMM3, the SPD must be 2T for better system stability. We recommend inserting DIMMs in DIMM2 and DIMM4."

So the conclusion is, DIMM 2 & 4 offer better stability and performance than DIMM 1 & 3.

There is a difference between the two pairs of slots but it has everything to do with the capabilities of the DFI boards.

These boards are designed to give you maximum performance with a pair of RAM sticks in Dual Channel. That's the bottom line.

Reread the post above by ExRoadie. The manual says that in reference to two sticks of memory running in dual channel mode. If using two sticks, the orange slots should almost always be used for maximum performance. If using four sticks the performance is still good.

Also realize the manual is written and produced at the time of the first release of the new motherboard.

Hardware and BIOS updates come out that can compromise an old manual.

Best RAMs are usually low capacity (MAX 512mb per piece) only...

Can you explain that a bit more? I would think the best RAM in a system is one that is stable and it doesn't get much better than running RAM in a DFI board.

Praz,

Unfair, you are using the Venus model of this DFI board, it is known to handle memory better than its very close cousins................

Getting four sticks of memory to run in your DFI rig is a challenge, most boards bork when put in a four slot ram scenario.

tried it with several regular DFI NF4 boards, get errors sooner or later, some wouldn't even boot.....

however, when i had a Venus in my hands for a few days i found the memory area to be much better...........

later,

baldy

4 sticks also run fine in both of my Expert boards just as ExRoadie and CPDMF have already stated. Assuming quality memory is being used it's all in the timings and voltages and a cooperative memory controller.