hmm what to do ?

vict0r

hello folks ... i am getting some "spare" money next week and was wanting to upgrade something on my pc... recently i got this seagate 320gig 16mb 7200rpm hdd, so what should come next?

current setup :

athlon 64 3000+ venice @ 2.7ghz processor

1 gig corsair pc3200xl ram

geforce 6800 256mb pci-x videocard

seagate 320gig 16mb 7200rpm hdd

and ofcourse the motherboard DFI LANPARTY NF4 SLI-D ...

what should my upgrade be?:confused: Im into gaming but not like WOWISH but i download a lot witch included a lot of unrarring and burning.. newsbin is like 24/7 raping newsgroups...

anyways would be nice if you could just point something and give some advice, thanks !!

Yeah... if it were me I'd be looking at a cpu upgrade, although that's a pretty nice OC you've got going on that 3000+ !

I was going to suggest that if your windfall wasn't enough to spring for an Opty that the 3700's have been going for dirt cheap here ($106 CDN) but I'm not sure you'd see that much of a boost considering the OC you've got. :)

i think enough for a 170-175 or even a 180 ... if we're talking about opty's ..

so you think i should def. upgrade the cpu to a opteron ? so i suppose its better to get the opteron than an x2 ...

any other suggestions? so the cpu is my bottleneck now ?

I'd spend the money on a better video card if you're into gaming....all of it...

If you're not then I'd spend it on a bigger, better cpu...and I am sure some one will say another gig of ram...;)....you're just not gonna win on what to get...

Heck just keep the pc as it is...and by better presents for your special peoples

I agree, on second thought. Having a nice, big PSU is more important. Buy something you can keep for a while, while trading out other components.

i think enough for a 170-175 or even a 180 ... if we're talking about opty's ..

so you think i should def. upgrade the cpu to a opteron ? so i suppose its better to get the opteron than an x2 ...

any other suggestions? so the cpu is my bottleneck now ?

Again, I'm no expert. But I asked the question on which Opty to buy and just about everyone said get the 165 because they all pretty much "top out" in the same area. The only real difference (they said) was if you wanted the 10X mulitplyer, then go with the 170.

The e-bay suggestion is good. I've been tracking 165 & 170 sales on e-bay for the last few months and the price for the good steppings in only 25 - 50 dollars more to know for sure what you are going to get.

They say the Opteron is better than the X2 because of the 2 X 1 Mbyte L2 cache, but I have also read that that 2 X 512 Kbyte difference really doesn't mean much in terms of "bottom line" performance. In short, the L2 cache's difference is over-rated. THEY say that, anyways.

*I* say the Opterons are CHEAPER than equivalent X2's, when comparing usual Opteron overclock speed to stock X2 speed. And I suspect (again, an uninformed opinion) that Opterons are cheaper when compared to the X2 when compared dollar per overclocked Mhz.

EDIT ***

Just realized if you can afford a 175, you can definiately afford a 165 + a nice PSU. Memory- shmemory (as Happy_Games says), CPU speed is King.

everything you have in that rig goes well together.

i think the cpu is fine especially with only a 6800

i would not spend the extra money on anything pc related. unless its a sweet monitor/speakers etc that can always be re-used.

if u upgrade to 2gb of ram then you wont be able to max details on games where the ram will make it run smooth. Because the 6800 will hold you back

if you upgrade the videocard that 1gb will hold you back with textures on games like BF2/FEAR etc

if you upgrade the cpu , you wont see any better fps.(because the old videocard was slower than the cpu) and until apps are developed to take advantage of dual cores. the single threaded apps will pretty much run the same. Unless you are a multitasking allstar i think upgrades are pointless

until C2D