3700+ bottlenecking the 7800GTX ?

aleni

my current spec is under my signature.

im thinking about upgrading my cpu to athlon 64 dual core x2 3800+ socket 939.

do u think its worth the upgrade? because i feel my cpu is bottlenecking the rest of the system.

and i might get another 1gb of ram as well.

please give me advices.

Well, not necessarily. Your game will run pimarily on one core of that 3800. So if your core speed is the same performance, for the most part in games, will be about the same. You should take into consideration cache size also. Have you thought about and Opteron 165?

Get it to 2.7 GHz easily with a 1meg L2, and dual core for multitasking. Price is great too 160 at the egg. THINK ABOUT IT :D

2 Gigs is a good idea these days

thanks for the advice. anyway, what do you think of my current spec? how long the lifespan until it is become obselete in high performance gaming?

because i feel some games released just now already made this "not-so-long-ago beast computer" kicking just like the rusty old man.

for example, running need for speed carbon maxed out with 1280x1024 gets pretty lame fps. about 30-40 fps and it feels sluggis to play.

its playable on 1024x768 maxed setting with AA 2x not 4x. or is it just the game buggy?

"Upgrading to dual core is pointless as games do not utilize two cores."

Sure they support dual core. Quake 4 does, Oblivion does, I don't see why Prey wouldn't, those are just the ones I'm certain that can use a dual core cpu. Even if the games you play are still single threaded, you get 1 core to run solely on the game, and the other to run background processes.

Sorry UncleDavid, ""Upgrading to dual core is pointless as games do not utilize two cores." was a good argument when the dual core cpu's just came out. But I guess you could say that it applies to the new quad core cpu thats out from Intel.

Yep, I know that. I have dual core myself.

But he was asking whether or not upgrading to dual core would be a major improvement over his current processor when it comes to gaming. ;)

In my personal experience I've found that it makes very little difference.

I'm not anti-dual core by any means. I'm all for it. But 2GB of RAM would be the best upgrade as far as performance goes.