3700+ Or Opty 165?

bchivers

I'd love to have an Opty and I see allot about the 165's, would it be worth upgrading from my 3700+? Is my ram good enough for it? What kind of OC should I realistically expect, I know there all different? I will be replacing my PSU soon. TIA.:)

If you went and dropped a 165 in there it would more than likely reach or surpass whatever overclock you have with your 3700+.

So yes, it would basically double your CPU power.

Your RAM on the other hand could use an upgrade as well. It still can be used but 512 is not that much.

Guest Retratserif

3700+ are nice, but a OPty 165 will yeild a lot better performance.

You will be lucky to get a 3700+ to 2.8 with the revisions they are been shipping lately.

Though the opty, 2.6 - 2.7 is fairly easy and common. So I would get a OPty if I was you. As soon as the price drops a little more I an going to get one. That will be the last CPU I buy for the 939 also. I will be moving to the conroe asap.

Get some good DDR500 ram and a OCZ PSU too. You will be straight. But for that much money you may just want to wait and save a little bit more and get a Conroe setup.

our RAM on the other hand could use an upgrade as well. It still can be used but 512 is not that much

I have 2X512 ram but would like to get more someday.

You will be lucky to get a 3700+ to 2.8

I have been able to get 2.6 on my old MSI board but not very stable.

Have a OCZ GameXStream OCZ600GXSSLI ATX12V 600W Power Supply that I will buy, I think it is one on the PSU guide list. My last board was a MSI I had my ram set at 2.5-4-4-8 @500MHZ with this board I can't get more than 400 MHZ without crashing on this board, don't know much about OC'ing yet but what is better 2.5-4-4-8 @500mhz or 2-2-2-2 @400mhz? Thanks for the advice.:)

Guest Darkslayer

Honestly, the 3700 (when overclocked) is fast enough for most things out there. But the Opty seems to be the way to go. I just ordered one myself. Can't wait till its here :).

As for my 3700, it's seen 3ghz, but it wasn't stable. 2.9ghz seems to be the max @ 1.55v. Still not bad though :)

you can also ebay the 3700 to help pay for the opty. your ram should work ok, although apperently opty's don't like low dividers.... you could always loosen the timings to get a higher OC on the cpu, CPU speed >>>>> ram speed

I'm upgrading my 3700+ to an Opty 165 CCBBE. I honestly don't use the computing power I currently have, but I thought that it would be nice to have the upgrade. The 3700+ will end up on an ECS board for a computer in the garage.