Unable to start windows after upgrade to DFI Expert

Hi Guys.

I just switched to a DFI Expert from an ASUS A8N Premium that gave me trouble for months before dying.

The first major problem I ran into was one I saw mentioned in another thread. After clicking the power button, my fans would begin to spin up for half a second before the system would lose power. I think I have mostly resolved this by moving separating my video card onto a single rail just for itself. I have a Radeon x1800xt that hogs a ton of power, but still, I'd expect my Enermax 620 to be adequate. Pluging in the floppy connector did not seem to help.

Part of the reason I chose this MB was because it had a Sil 3114 raid controller, and I have a Raid 0 array that was created with the same controller on the Asus board.

My motherboard seems to detect my array correctly, and I can get all the way to the windows logo before my system restarts. This behavior is very consistent, and occurs even if I try going into safemode. I have tried changing the Sil 3114 setting in the bios to "old mb" but it did not help.

I _really_ don't want to lose the data on my array, and re-installing windows on a third drive is not a very appealing idea.

I'm not positive this is due to my array. It could be related to the power issue or something else entirely.

Anybody have any ideas?

My system spects:

AMD 4800 x2 (939)

DFI Lanparty Expert (purchased from newegg a couple days ago)

xRadeon x1800xt (512mb) (asus branded)

2x 1g corsair xms3200-c2

Creative Audigy Soundcard

2x Western Digital 320gb SATA (raid 0)

1x Maxtor 280gb SATA

Enermax Liberty (620 watt)

Proxim wireless G card

Thanks

If I understand you correctly, you moved all your hardware from the Asus board to the DFI board right? If thats the case then it will never work because they have different system drivers. Your only sulution is to save all important docs on a hd then recreate raid on the DFI then reinstall Windows.

I would install windows on your stand-alone drive, see if windows will recognize the imported raid, pull all the data from the raid to the stand-alone, then re-create the raid from scratch (and make another fresh copy of windows on it), then pull all of your data back to the raid.

If you care enough about your data, nothing is un-appealing...

Just a thought, but if you really don't want to lose the data on your array, perhaps you should be running raid-1 rather than raid-0? With raid-0 you double your points of failure, and you are twice as likely to lose all the data due to a disk failure...

I was hoping that since this board has an identical raid controller as the ASUS one it would work. The fact that the Sil 3114 raid controller has a compatability mode for raid arrays set up by other conrollers made me even more sure it would work.

I'm wondering if this is just because I havn't installed the Raid drivers and I'm still relying on the ones I had installed for the previous controller.

I'm going to try booting from a floppy and installing the drivers that came with the DFI board.

Nevermind. I can't find a way to do anything with drivers without actually having to start windows.

I've considered installing windows on a 3rd drive and using it to recover stuff from my Raid, but I've decided it's not worth the trouble. Tonight I'm going to format the drives and do a complete reinstall.

Go here

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/profile.php?do=editsignature

and paste all of this there.

AMD 4800 x2 (939)

DFI Lanparty Expert (purchased from newegg a couple days ago)

xRadeon x1800xt (512mb) (asus branded)

2x 1g corsair xms3200-c2

Creative Audigy Soundcard

2x Western Digital 320gb SATA (raid 0)

1x Maxtor 280gb SATA

Enermax Liberty (620 watt)

Proxim wireless G card

;)