DD Black ICE GTX ? New Rad - any good ?

expresso

Hi - i am ready to order all my DD parts - was waiting for the new Rad - and they have it - but i didnt expect the price to be so high - its $100 dollars --

i like some opinions about this new Rad - do you think its worth it ?

has anyone gotten it yet - its brand new - so i dont think anyone tried it out

its double the price of the Rad i was about to buy -

i didnt expect it to be that much more - maybe 20 dollars

but its double -

do you think its worth it ?

thanks - i am looking to order all the parts tomorrow - just curious what everything thinks about the new Rad and price

its a radiator.. it doesnt really make a damn difference.

the only diff youll see in temps is via size. 1x120 or 2x120

and even those you only see how much capacity the rad can cool.

ex. it takes 1hr for a single rad to heat up to 35c+ and stay there (its capacity) under load

with a 2x itll take 2 hrs under load to heat to the same 35c+

you can browse the FS forums and buy like a 1x120 rad for like 15$ if you only cool the cpu like me.

15+ a 30$ block+ a mcp350 pump (about 40$, quiet and small) + 10$ fillport some 3/8 tubing and your set in stone. for all under 100$

its a radiator.. it doesnt really make a damn difference.

the only diff youll see in temps is via size. 1x120 or 2x120

and even those you only see how much capacity the rad can cool.

ex. it takes 1hr for a single rad to heat up to 35c+ and stay there (its capacity) under load

with a 2x itll take 2 hrs under load to heat to the same 35c+

you can browse the FS forums and buy like a 1x120 rad for like 15$ if you only cool the cpu like me.

15+ a 30$ block+ a mcp350 pump (about 40$, quiet and small) + 10$ fillport some 3/8 tubing and your set in stone. for all under 100$

I agree with ooeric... For CPU-only cooling, single rad is just fine. Pair it with a quiet pump and a decent block and you'll get great cooling for less $$. Big rads are only useful for really hot or multi-block systems.

thanks - but i ordered it already - i understand what your saying and your right to a degree - i will be cooling both video and cpu -- i am sure a cheaper one would be good enough

but Better Rad's do make a difference - now how much of a difference - i dont know for sure yet - since this is my first WC setup - i do tend to want OverKill - just in case - it was 50 dollars more than the one i was going to get - so its not that much more - i hope it get the job done good at least - then i wont feel too bad :)

since its my first time - i got everything new and from DD - but its not cheap when you add it all up --

cost me $392 dollars - i wasnt expecting to spend that much - but i know from the past - sometimes you try to save and you get screwed -- and no happy with the end result - so i didnt take any chances --

i hope it keep it real cool - not sure how much to expect -

but if i can keep it at 40C under load - that be great at 2.75 ghz --

$100 bucks sounds like a lot of money for a Rad. Why not spend $30-$40 on a good rad, and the rest on a really really nice CPU block? ;)

My BIPII was on sale for $35 bucks and frankly it is a really sweet rad. The Swiftech 120.2 is also a very good performer, and in that same price range. Look at these they might help you to decide.

Here is a good article on rad performance

http://www.swiftnets.com/Technical/Assessm...Performance.pdf

Look at these! 34 bucks for a Rad!:eek2:

http://www.petrastechshop.com/swmcqposerab.html

http://www.petrastechshop.com/dadenblicepr1.html

thanks - but i ordered it already - i understand what your saying and your right to a degree - i will be cooling both video and cpu -- i am sure a cheaper one would be good enough

but Better Rad's do make a difference - now how much of a difference - i dont know for sure yet - since this is my first WC setup - i do tend to want OverKill - just in case - it was 50 dollars more than the one i was going to get - so its not that much more - i hope it get the job done good at least - then i wont feel too bad :)

since its my first time - i got everything new and from DD - but its not cheap when you add it all up --

cost me $392 dollars - i wasnt expecting to spend that much - but i know from the past - sometimes you try to save and you get screwed -- and no happy with the end result - so i didnt take any chances --

i hope it keep it real cool - not sure how much to expect -

but if i can keep it at 40C under load - that be great at 2.75 ghz --

You will be fine and yes you did the right thing by not being a cheap skate...really you get what you pay for and with watercooling it couldnt be more true...as far as temps...Just be certain there you have cool air moving across that radiator and your temps will drop pretty close to what you are shooting for...

thanks - i will have two 120mm fans in the front of my case in front of the Rad on a TT amor full case --

and i know about good parts compared to cheaper ones - from doing things to my car - i have my car since new and never got stuck once - because i only used the best parts and always kept on the top of things - if i have to replace a part - i put in a better one than new OEM - :)

i never went cheap - you cant if you want the performance

from your car - and the computer is the same thing - like anything else - its true you get what you pay for and it will show in performance and long lasting quality - :)

There is more to a rad's ability to disipate heat than just size, a good 1x120 will be able to disipate as much heat as a cheap 2x120 or even a 3x120. Alot of it has to do with fins, how many passes etc. so be careful with random statements about what does and doesnt matter.