4x 512MB Mushkin RedLine -> computer unstable

Hi all! I'm a first-timer here and i'm also from finland so try to undersand my newbieness. :O So here goes.

After adding another pair of Mushkin RedLines my pc became ridiculously unstable. Only 10min of BF2 or Oblivion then instant crash and reboot. I can still feel the effect of 2GB; loading times are now shorter and BF2 doesn't lag in the beginning of a map anymore.

I know it's recommended to use 2x1GB sticks rather than 4x512MB (spent time reading guides here), but i decided to do it anyway since i got them for such a low price.

Here are some settings that worked with 1GB:

Tcl: 2

Trc: 7

Trfc: 17

Trcd: 2

Trrd: 2

Tras: 6

Trp: 2

Twr: 2

Twtr: 1

Trtw: 2

Tref: 200MHz 15.6us = 3120

Twcl: 1clk

Read Write Queue Bypass: 16x

Bypass Max: 7x

Max Async latency: 7ns

Read Preamble: 5ns

Idle Cycle Limit: 256clks

I naturally set command rate to 2T before even installing the additional RAM.

The two pairs of 512s are not identical though. The newer RAM has that little chip at the end of the stick (ECC?) and their PCBs are green instead of black. I don't think this could be the problem or?

So, i need some advices to get this computer running stable please.

It is always better to match all the sticks.

Using 4x512MB is going to effect your OC, you need to start from the beginning and slowly oc until you find some stable settings.

Guest Retratserif
It is always better to match all the sticks.

Using 4x512MB is going to effect your OC, you need to start from the beginning and slowly oc until you find some stable settings.

He is completely right. You are trying to jump into it. You should either move your way up in the FSB with tight timings, or find your maxes with the looses timings and work your timings down. Either way its time consuming and a hair pulling.

My 4 ballisics do not run nearly as fast all in one system at once. You can get 275 with any combo, but only 240 with all 4.

Though I bet you could get it to be stable by either changing your Cas to 2.5 or loosening up some of your main memory timings. 2.2.2.6 is really agressive at 255. Try it and see what you get. I am redoing my OC so I will be testing to see if my 4 sticks beats my 2 sticks with either max oc or just plain memory bandwidth. I think the OCZ will win. I know 2 sticks of ballistics will crush a single ocz stick though.

Good luck.

I know when running four sticks in my expert it wouldn't boot until I bumped drive strength to 9 or above (1 thru 8 for two sticks, 9 thru 15 for four). Not always the case but something to consider. This was using TCCD...

Well the drive strength was at Auto setting so I have no idea what it was, but it didn't seem to help even at level 12. Maybe I'll just have to loosen the timings see what happens. It just feels a bit stupid to have DDR500 2-2-2-6 capable memories running at such timings and frequencies.