400MHz max on any cpu

davepjr71

RAM twested fine with MEmtest last night and PSU held steady at 12.02V during prime95. I was wrong about the CPU working better with more voltage. The higher i raised the voltage the faster it would crach in prime95.

Therefore, I have to decide if I want it to be prime stable or run it at 3GHz the way I've been doing. Right now I have zero problems with any program I run and it performs well on 3DMark tests and Aquamark. And games like a champ with max settings for FEAR and HL2.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

RAM twested fine with MEmtest last night and PSU held steady at 12.02V during prime95. I was wrong about the CPU working better with more voltage. The higher i raised the voltage the faster it would crach in prime95.

Therefore, I have to decide if I want it to be prime stable or run it at 3GHz the way I've been doing. Right now I have zero problems with any program I run and it performs well on 3DMark tests and Aquamark. And games like a champ with max settings for FEAR and HL2.

Well thats your decision. I'd prefer stability over anything else but if you do any important work then I'd shoot for being stable. If you tested your psu using a multimeter then its fine. However have you tried lowering the voltage? Probably won't do it for you but it could. BTW I play lots of HL2 and while cpu speed is important for the source engine, the GPU also helps. If its stable enough for you....its stable enough for me but if it were my own I'd shoot for stability. You've most likely found the max of your CPU.

BTW I've edited my damn sig i dont know how many times to fix the 1024GB it says for my memory yet it STILL says 1024GB.....lol

Guest Retratserif
It could be that your 2 CPUs can only be clocked by that much.

Why would you assume you can go way over 3 ghz with an fx-55?

3.0 is a good OC. Being that all of the SD chips are pretty much the same. Getting over 3.0 is luck of the draw and good OC'ing skills. Some lucky few have taken them out of the box, added no juice and just upped the FSB to 267. There are good chips and there are bad chips.

If I was you, I would jsut get 3.0 stable for 24/7 use.

I found that my diminishing OC is from my ram, its getting weaker. I have them running at 2.85v and that it cannot hold 255 no more, its slowly moving down. I may get OCZ to replace them once I will only be stable a 245. Then again I do not like the fact that my chip is a halfassed toledo.....

Guest Retratserif

There's an idea. You should get at least 2.8 on that 3700+ though. Even the toledo 2.2's clock up to 2.8 fairly stable. Thats a good 600mhz increase and you notice it on a single core.

It very well could be that both CPU's have the same limit. In my profession I find it fascinating when I run into a problem that seems to have a common connection and was turning to a forum of experts for some ideas. In no profession or field does it help to criticize people. I've seen many people's postings were they run the 1M test and tout the greatness of their overclock. Or, even their scores on 3DMark05. None of them show the results at 32M. One guide I read considers 8M to be adaquate for stability. Thererfore, I stated that I passed at that level. I've also passed at 32M.

The DFI guru's reccomend using their OC guide. Their OC guide says to run the 32M test ... not the 8M test. I was simply stating that your OC based on a 8M test does not neccesarily mean its stable. Thats all I was saying.