System restarts while in the middle of gaming

Hi Guys

Now this could be a multitude of things but i thought id start off asking here as last time i had a problem your help was invaluable :)

Pretty much what is happening is that whenever i am gaming. be it WoW,Company of heroes or BF2. In fact anything graphic intensive My Machine will randomly reboot.

Sometimes i can game happily for hours and not have an issue but other times it will repeatedly restart.

one thing though i have found out will almost definately make it restart is to run a game in window mode, minimise it to desktop, browse web pages for 5 minutes without opening the game back up and then it will restart the PC.

While having it minimised i watch the graphics card temperature using the Nvidia temp monitor and notice the vid card temperature will climb and climb and climb then the PC resets.

Every time i come back into windows it informs me that "a device driver error has occured" and there is no fix for it.

So does anyone have any ideas as to how i can go about diagnosing this further? Or had any similar issues?

Well, I can tell you that running a game in windowed mode is much more card intensive than running full screen, so overheating in windowed mode is no suprise. Do you overheat and shutdown in FS mode?

And most games these days aren't alt tab friendly.

I had similar problems, what I did was take the side off my computer and put a big fan beside it which helped. Now that winter is on it's way and it is cooler in my room I don't need the fan. Try it and see if it is an overheating problem.

Get a fan on the card first off if you don't have one, yer asking for it. I have two fans on mine, one blowing in the chipset area, the other on the cards in general (80mm and 120, respectively) and it dropped my temps by 10C just cuz of how much it improved airflow over the card areas.