links between dram settings and cpu overclocking

just want to know whether dram settings are linked to CPU overclocking because i am trying to make my 3ghz oc stable so tweaking the dram settings dont seem to help. so just wondering..

thanks

When you are near the edge of what your cpu is capable of then ram alpha settings play the major role in getting that bit further. With x2's and Opterons even more so, because the mem controller is under so much stress. Obviously tweaking the alpha's will relieve that stress a bit and get your clock a bit further.

Tweaking ram settings isn't going to help if the processor is what's unstable. Just like increasing VCORE will gain nothing if it is the memory that's unstable. You may have reach the end of what the processor is capable of. I had several 0550VPMWs. The majority seem to fall just short of hitting 3.0. 3.0+ with these was more hype then fact. Most that claimed or demonstrated running at these speeds were not doing what you are trying to achieve. And that is being OCDB stable. This stepping is also very sensitive to heat.

Tweaking ram settings isn't going to help if the processor is what's unstable. Just like increasing VCORE will gain nothing if it is the memory that's unstable. You may have reach the end of what the processor is capable of. I had several 0550VPMWs. The majority seem to fall just short of hitting 3.0. 3.0+ with these was more hype then fact. Most that claimed or demonstrated running at these speeds were not doing what you are trying to achieve. And that is being OCDB stable. This stepping is also very sensitive to heat.

in other words, tweaking the dram settings isnt going to make the cpu more stable ?

and now the only thing left is the vcore?

so if raising the vcore isnt going to help make it stable means it simply isnt stable at 3GHz?

What kitfit1 said above can be true in certain cases. And while cpu speed is king I would never loosen primary timings to get an extra 20MHz or 30MHz out of the processor. The performance increase isn't there. Run Memtest at the settings you are currently failing at. If you pass that there may be hope. It could be just a single setting in the secondary timings or the cpu. The 0550VPMW does respond well to voltage increases. But like I said before, it is very sensitive to heat. What is your Twtr set at? I have found without exception that my Expert and Venus boards with Optys prefer it to be set to 01. Most everyone for some reason run it at 02.

What kitfit1 said above can be true in certain cases. And while cpu speed is king I would never loosen primary timings to get an extra 20MHz or 30MHz out of the processor. The performance increase isn't there. Run Memtest at the settings you are currently failing at. If you pass that there may be hope. It could be just a single setting in the secondary timings or the cpu. The 0550VPMW does respond well to voltage increases. But like I said before, it is very sensitive to heat. What is your Twtr set at? I have found without exception that my Expert and Venus boards with Optys prefer it to be set to 01. Most everyone for some reason run it at 02.

twtr is set at 02. if i set it to 01, how much is it gonna affect the stability.

how many memtest passes are we talking abt ? test5 right?

Each system is different. But for me Twtr set to 01 is consistently more stable. I don't believe you will find any OCDB entry that I have submitted using the Expert/Venus board with it set to anything but 01.

Rem test #5 and #8 8-10 passes each. Then run the complete set of tests for 4-5 hours.

Each system is different. But for me Twtr set to 01 is consistently more stable. I don't believe you will find any OCDB entry that I have submitted using the Expert/Venus board with it set to anything but 01.

Rem test #5 and #8 8-10 passes each. Then run the complete set of tests for 4-5 hours.

the settings passed memtest but refused to boot into windows.

reboots at the windows scrolling bars "screen"

FSB Bus Frequency............................. - 300

LDT/FSB Frequency Ratio....................... - 3x

CPU/FSB Frequency Ratio....................... - 10x

PCI eXpress Frequency......................... - 101Mhz

CPU VID StartUp Value......................... - 1.500v

CPU VID Control............................... - 1.400v

CPU VID Special Control....................... - 116.8%

LDT Voltage Control........................... - 1.20v

Chip Set Voltage Control...................... - 1.52v

DRAM Voltage Control.......................... - 2.68v

DRAM Configuration Settings:

DRAM Frequency Set............................ - 10

Command Per Clock (CPC)....................... - Enable

CAS Latency Control (Tcl)..................... - 3

RAS# to CAS# delay (Trcd)..................... - 4

Min RAS# active time (Tras)................... - 8

Row precharge time (Trp)...................... - 4

Row Cycle time (Trc).......................... - 13 Bus Clocks

Row refresh cyc time (Trfc)................... - 16 Bus Clocks

Row to Row delay (Trrd)....................... - 03 Bus Clocks

Write recovery time (Twr)..................... - 03 Bus Clocks

Write to Read delay (Twtr).................... - 02 Bus Clocks

Read to Write delay (Trwt).................... - 03 Bus Clocks

Refresh Period (Tref)......................... - 3120 Cycles

DRAM Bank Interleave.......................... - Enabled

DQS Skew Control.............................. - Increase Skew

DQS Skew Value................................ - 221

DRAM Drive Strength........................... - Level 8

DRAM Data Drive Strength...................... - Auto

Max Async Latency............................. - 8.0ns

DRAM Response Time............................ - Normal

Read Preamble Time............................ - 5.5ns

IdleCycle Limit............................... - 128 Cycles

Dynamic Counter............................... - Disable

R/W Queue Bypass.............................. - 16 x

Bypass Max.................................... - 07 x

32 Byte Granularity........................... - Disable(4 Bursts)

currently testing diff settings used by some of the 3Ghz members. this current settings rebooted when showing the windows loading screen but was able to boot normally after that.

guys for the Dram settings, shld i be using the NF4 guide or the ones frm GSkill 2GBkits user thread since i am using those rams?

another thing is, i realised i am testing dram settings and cpu vcore/fsb at the same time. now can i say that dram settings for a ocdb stable 2.5ghz for example, can work for a 2.8GHz overclock? assuming the vcore for 2.8Ghz is stable.