Expert in NF2 LP-B, NOOP in NF4

TheWizzard

Hey Guys,

Hope you can help me a bit.

I recently installed my new system.

Mobo: DFI LP UT NF4 SLI DR Expert.

PSU: Enermax CoolerGiant 600watt

RAM: Kreton VTT UTT BH-5 2x512mb (must be in orange slots or....?)

CPU: Opteron 165 Dual Core 2mb cache

VGA: 2 x XFX GF6800 Extreme Edition 512mb SLI

All 3 powercables are connected to the board.

I'm wondering, since the bios is flooded with settings I don't understand (yet), I'm hoping that you guys can give me advice on how to set it up. And also which bios on the Tmods Bios update cd i can use the best.

I already found a recommendation from a fellow DFI Street member which i'm going to try:

FSB Bus Frequency............................. 250 MHz

LDT/FSB Frequency Ratio....................... Auto

CPU/FSB Frequency Ratio....................... 10

PCI eXpress Frequency......................... 100

CPU Voltage .................................. 1.400v

LDT Voltage .................................. 1.30v

ChipSet (NF4) Voltage ........................ 1.60V

DRAM Voltage ................................. 2.80v (i'm thinking of setting this as a start to 3volt orso)

+0.03 if not 3.2V ............................ enable

Memclock (DRAM Frequency) .................... 200

1T/2T Timing (Command Per Clock).............. 1T

CAS Latency (Tcl)............................. 3T

RAS# to CAS# delay (Trcd)..................... 3T

Min RAS# active time (Tras)................... 8T

Row precharge time (Trp)...................... 3T

Row Cycle time (Trc).......................... 11T

Row refresh cyc time (Trfc)................... 16T

Row to Row delay (Trrd)....................... 3T

Write recovery time (Twr)..................... 2T

Write to Read delay (Twtr).................... 2T

Read to Write delay (Trwt).................... 3T

Refresh Period (Tref)......................... 3120

DRAM Bank Interleave.......................... Enabled

DQS Skew Control.............................. Auto

DQS Skew Value................................ 0

DRAM Drive Strength........................... Normal 4 (called Level 8 in other bios')

DRAM Data Drive Strength...................... Level 2

Max Async Latency............................. 8ns

DRAM Response Time............................ Normal

Read Preamble Time............................ 6ns

IdleCycle Limit............................... 256

Dynamic Counter............................... Disable

R/W Queue Bypass.............................. 16x

Bypass Max.................................... 4x

32 Byte Granularity........................... Disable (4 Bursts)

I really hope you can help me.

Thanks mates.

Hey....

Basically... you just need to start all over again....The NF4 platform is a hell of alot easier to overclock than the NF2 series...

Just as before...there is NO best bios for that board...only the best bios for you....

If I am not mistaken BH-5 goes in the yellow slot...(TCCD in orange) but you try and see what works best....

Just memtest the ram to see how far you can go with it and you can either stop there or try the other slot...

Then you just put it back stock and find the limits of the cpu...

you should be able to find the primary limits in about 4 hours and from there it's all prime....

Oldguy gave me the best tip....for setting the secondary timings...Take the ram up till it errors in test #5 then fiddle with the secondary DDS DDDS and see what gives the least amount of error and then head down the list from there....

When I did that I gained 20mhz on the ram...took like 20 minutes...and I'm a big dummy on those....Good luck...

EDIT: every board is different when it comes to ram timings...especially the secondary.... I searched the OCDB and printed out ram specs like mine and none of them worked...It was faster sarting from scratch than chasing someone elses timings...I would change the secondary to your own setting...I hear A64tweaker works for that....I just used memtest..

EDIT II: Dont worry about keeping the timings tight...2-2-2-5 on a divider will give the same as 3-4-4-8 1:1 on alot of cases...

Okay, of course i understand that. But what i meant was if it's possible to point out a bios that in general performs better then the standard official bios. And what settings are in general the best to start with.

@oceanborn: Indeed, i noticed that. So that means i have to fixate at the FSB/LTD?

@Dr. Bowtie: Okay. On what devider do you suggest? And just for refreshing my memory, what are the 2-2-2-5 timings again? CAS, tras etc.....

I dont suggest any divider... I also dont suggest any certain bios...look in the OCDB and see what bios the majority with your board are running...some believe the factory is best others dont....

On the divider...or not....

that all depends on your memtest results.....

Lets say you can acheive 260fsb on the ram before errors.... well then you'll want to keep your ram around 250fsb....

if you can make the cpu to 280fsb well then you'll need the 180divider...(check with cpu-z)

now if you can make 290fsb on the ram and only 280fsb on the cpu then you'll run 1:1....no divider....

the timings I used for example are the listed timings of the ram...in your bios they will be the 1st set of timings..prolly listed like 2-5-2-2- (if you have 2 timings) if you have 3-3-3-8 it will reflect that...

the deal on nf4 is to get the highest cpu clock, ram speed improve the system speed but not has the nf2 platform did,

i had my 3000+ clock @ 267*9 with a 3/4 divider because my ram wouldn't run pass 205mhz,

when i receive my 165 and my ocz ddr500, it only took me 4 hour t get that sucker boot a 2.7 on stockm vcore, and a a few hour more to get it to boot @ 3ghz,

one night of prime, couple of 3dmark, memtest and here we go, its stable ;)