OVERHEATING problems..

Guest VoiD_merged

well everytime I play FPS games my computer freezes after 30min.

I think the problem is overheating since if I reboot and look at the temperatures in BIOS, they are all over 50C.

I recently changed my chipset fan to Evercool VC-RE with little AS5 and it's not helping any. Could it be simply a bad case? I have a Lian Li 1100Vplus and it still runs very hot (never saw anything below 40) with the side panel off. The whole case feel very warm actually..

Or is the motherboard going whack?

Room temperature is usually around 75F

First thing everyone is going to say: buy a new Power Supply. There are reccomended ones SPECIFICALLY by DFI. Those you should get. (perhaps i should take my own advice ;).

Anyway, if I were you, I would load optimized defaults in BIOS and the pull back the divider on the RAM and lower the CAS latency by like .5 . SO your RAM is running far below its capabilites.

If the problem stops, then obviously you need to tweak your RAM settings until you find stability and speed. You should also read Angry's post about RAM timings and speed and you will find that neither matters. Sorry, dont have the link. This way, you wont kill yourself over a few hundered megs of mem bandwidth, when it doesnt really affect performance much.

If you still tget the problems, I would go through the memtest cycles (i think its 20 passes on tests 8 and 5 and then 15 passes through all). If those fail, RAM ISSUES! If those pass, seriously look for a new ps.

I have pretty high temps. My chipset, por ejemplo, never gets below 56. But I can leave my computer on, play CS, play FEAR, do some CAD, play BF@ then more CAS, then PRIME and still leave it on overnight priming and get NO problems. If you are really concerned about temps, consider a program that monitors temps and RECORDS them. Run your game for a few minutes, and look at your load temps (you might get another degree or two if you run them for a few hours) . If they are in the mid 60s, you need HELP. If they arent, you still prolly need help, but they are not at failure point.

What Im getting at is this: you have a hardware issue, its not temps.

It could be your video card overheating. Did you check that zalman to make sure it is seated correctly and that it is working?

Sometimes using too much thermal paste is counterproductive. Did you use a pencil tip amount and spread it with a rubber glove tipped finger or use a plastic card to spread it?

How many case fans do you have? At the very least one should be sucking air in from the front and one exhausting hot air out the back of the case.

Have you ran memtest and made sure of your RAMs stability by running 3dmarks and prime95 for 8 hours?

you have Lian LI and your case is warm .... whoa ...

have you OC your PC ? how fans are your fans spinning ?

and what FPS did you play and freeze on ?

<-- play CS:S , battlefield 2142, Fear ...

all okay ( i have VF700ALCU on my 7600GT )

I have my side open for now.

Antec neopower was listed as a recommended power supply..

I never overclocked. Now loaded optimized settings.

Ran memtest for 20hrs with no problem. (couldn't live longer with no computer :P)

I think it may be my graphics card overheating.

I have two intake fans, one in the front, one in the back blowing air over the cpu (lian li makes it that way)

One exhaust scroll fant near the cards and one more exhaust from the AC5

I have replaced my zalman with a Arctic cooling 5 a couple months ago which I should have updated my sig.

Time to monitor my graphics card now.

I'm leaning towards the PSU too. I'm sorry, but your PSU is not on the Recommended List - the NeoPower on the list is the 550W, which has more power than your PSU, and is still not recommended for high-end setups. If you have another PSU from the list that you can beg, borrow or steal - i'd strongly suggest giving it a try...