problem upon motherboard change (from ASUS A8N SLI-SE to DFI nf4 Ultra

hi guys

we changed a motherboard on a system, from the ASUS A8N SLI-SE we installed

a DFI nf4 Ultra-D. The system did boot-up fine, with only a minor issue

we got a message that there was a hard drive read problem,

but changing the SATA connectors from 2-4 to 1-3 seemed to solve this one.

the system is unable to enter Windows XP.

we also tried safe mode butno luck there too.

we got the following error message

STOP 0x0000007B (0xF78A2524, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

(sometimes we get 0x00000024 too)

it quotes something about running CHECKDISK.

we did not change any drivers or registry settings before unistalling the ASUS mobo

and of course none of the above upon installing the DFI, as the system didn't manage to enter XP.

what is the problem?

can we save the time from another format/istallation?

the rig is as follows (it is a a friends rig)

Athlon 64 x2 3800+

2x512 Geil Ultra-X

2x250GB Western Digital SATA2

LG DVD / NEC DVD-R

I assumed, that since I was going from nF4 to nF4, I wasn't going to need an XP re-installation

it is advised that when changing major hardware like a mainboard for eg that you have a fresh install of windows, purely for driver sakes..

have you done a cmos clear? if not theres a guide here on forums of how to do a proper one here

follow that and post back

When swapping motherboards, i would always recommend a format (unless your swapping it with the exact same motherboard)

Did you just plug everything in and power up? If so, i would recommend looking at the initial build guide in my signature and following it to a T. If you choose not to follow it, your asking for trouble, lol.

Also, if this is an initial build, you should set up the 4 main timings for your ram in the bios and run memtest (located at the bottom of the genie bios page in the BIOS) for 10 passes of test #5, 10 passes of test #8, then the whole set of tests for a few hours. If your ram passes, then you are good to install windows.

I'll try fixing the boot sector, and then run the MEMtest.

any ideas on how to fix the boot sector? from the windows console?

(I have no idea on how to use it..)

first thing in the morning though (its 1.52am here)

I'll try fixing the boot sector, and then run the MEMtest.

any ideas on how to fix the boot sector? from the windows console?

(I have no idea on how to use it..)

first thing in the morning though (its 1.52am here)

You can boot from startup floppy disks or CD-ROM, choose repair option during setup, and run Recovery Console. When you are logged on, you can run FIXBOOT command to try to fix boot sector.

Source

You can some times get round the major issues by using Sysprep from the Microsoft resource kit to prep your hard disk for transplant before moving it.

I have had some success with this in the past, Not always successful but mostly.

It is not a procedure for the feint hearted though and I suggest you do a lot of reading to make sure you understand the process.

I it the process the OEM system builders use to deploy disk images to all the machines they deliver from a single source and once the customer gets it thet only have to enter their XP product code and away they go, It does not uninstall any programs or delete files it just prepares windows to do all the detection and configuring that it would do during an installation.