upgrade to expert

Hey guys, I just purchased an Expert board and it is being shipped, so I just want to get prepared. With my current configuration, I have 2 sets of hard drives in raid 0. Will I have to rebuild both arrays and format them when I get the new board, or can I just plug them in. One array has the OS on it, and the other is just storage, I am atleast hoping I can salvage the storage array or else that is a lot of backing up I gotta do. I am pretty sure I will have to rebuild them and format, but I just want to make sure. Thanks for the help.

I would do a fresh install of windows after you memtest your ram to be sure you have proper timings.

I would want to start off from scratch with this motherboard. good luck and tell us how it turns out.

do a new setup (redo you raid)...

bios revisions between mb of same chipset controlling raid can have different effects.

ie i had 2 computers with promise 378 raid chips and moved 2 hdd in raid 0 accross and partition magic said gemotry was different...

only difference was promise bios versions.. all was the sam setup..

These guys are anal retentive. They will tell you that you absolutely have to reload you OS when swapping from a single core to a dual core CPU. As most people here can attest, it may be recommended, but it's damn sure not necessary.

Plug in the OS array and see what happens. Leave the array with your sensitive data out of the system until you feel comfortable...Or, just go ahead and format everything and reload. It's not like you have a whole lot of choices that you need to make regarding this situation.

I'd rather be an anal-retentive moron with a smooth running PC thanks.

Nobody called anybody a moron and there's nothing wrong with being AR. I'm just pointing out that he doesn't absolutely need to reformat to get it to work. What if there is some data he wants to retreive? You tell him he needs to reformat, so he does and loses his data when he could have done a PnP and gotten the data, the reformatted later.

What if there is some data he wants to retreive? You tell him he needs to reformat, so he does and loses his data when he could have done a PnP and gotten the data, the reformatted later.

Sorry for giving such poor advice, I would never want anyone to re-format their drives that have valuable information on them.

In an ideal world you would want to do the following. Put another drive in your current system and back up your storage array to it. In your new system format your os array and reinstall. Then add you storage array. If it works your done. If not reformat and restore from the back up drive. Don't forget to run the full series of tests in Memtest before os installation. This is a new build.

Sorry for giving such poor advice, I would never want anyone to re-format their drives that have valuable information on them.

Oh, give me a break. Nobody said anything about anybody giving bad advice. Look at his original post and what the OP is asking. He seemed to be under the impression that it wouldn't work without a reformat. I was just pointing out that he could probably go ahead and plug it in and it will work. Nothing more, nothing less. You are absolutely correct that the the proper way to do it for an optimal system is to reformat and reload the OS. Probably do a clear CMOS as well. But, that's not what he was asking.