Watercooling Woes, no post.

Urok

I meant the adhesive that comes in 2 parts. Not the regular stuff.

Also, argh... I cannot for the sake of living find the original box for the 7900GTX... Thats where I palced the original HSF and fans... I'm utterly stuck right now unless someone can donate me their HSF if they already got watercooling. Sigh...

EDIT: I.....am........so.....@(*#@......blind... My current computer has no case, and to keep the card in correctly, I set it on top of a box. Guess which box it was? ¬_¬ Someone kill me now. I hate those moments.

Well then, ah, where shall I start... Went to the liberty of going through a complete accessory overhaul + improved watercooling. Thermaltake MozartTx case and swiftech apogee and their chipset and VGA waterblocks, among lots of other things. In any case, while installing everything, I forgot to tie down a hose connected to the CPU block, so I tried to pull it off. Unfortunately, I pulled off the CPU too which was locked in the socket at the time. The socket _seemed_ undamaged, but as for the Opteron 165, many pins were bent. In the end, I was able to save all of them except one, which broke off when trying to bend back. I looked up the pinout of 939 and the lost pin was a ground. Anyways, I finish assembling everything and the system is whisper quiet. Whats wrong though? No post. 4 LEDs (DFI Expert board) remained lit and no beep. I tried reseating many things, and still no go. I ordered another 165 from monarch (Cheap!). Still no post. I order another Expert board from newegg with next day shipping. Plop it in, put in old Opty 165 with 938 pins, no post 4 LEDs. Put in new Opty 165. No post 4 LEDs... Help... I've been sitting on a Celeron 533MHz machine for the past 2 weeks.

1. breaking off ground is ok- no harm done.

2.( sometimes damage to the zip socket) is done, you have to check each pin zif(zero insertion force) clamp for damage. sometimes when you put it back the conector doews not touch the pin. (not sure how am2 works..)

3. fastest way to test chip is put it in a working board (a mb that has a diff chip in it) and see if it boots up..via friend or pc shop

4. if you chip works.. then put back stock gear on mb(heatsink on chipset etc...)/ (if moded video card) put in a different video card.

removal all other posibilities (change ram ) or (test ram) on different board. etc..

leaves you with bad zip 939 socket (or am2)... then you know it the scocket...

-if socket 3 options..

1. fix lose pin connector (or if zif slider if screwed)

2. swap it with a diff zip socket of same type (old 939 zif socket) requires disasembling(tricky to do)

3. new board.

The 'broken' Opteron still works! As far as I can tell anyways. Using in a DFI Expert board I had overnighted to me from newegg. I'm not going to bother with the older same model board because it has a broken 1gbit nforce NIC. Perhaps I can get it RMA'd or something :P Better than tossing it out.

I also broke off a very tiny resistor earlier on when cleaning AS5 off the G71 core. Didnt notice until almost done cleaning it up. It is still detected in the mainboard. I get a healthy beep with it. Works with 1 x 512MB, then 2 x 512MB, but not 4 x 512MB (Stuck on 2 lit LEDs) Could be something to do with not plugging in the floppy power connector by the PCI but I couldnt find the modular cable for that.

Urok

While what you say about some 7900GTs not having heatsinks on the memory is true, you are running a GTX. The clock speeds are higher, and thus, generate more heat. If there is no reason not to use the heatsinks, you should do so. From the troubles you are having damaging your hardware, you might want to conduct an assessment of your skills and approach. Patience, a steady hand, and an understanding of what you are doing are required.

Still only 2 LEDs meaning VGA isn't detected when 4 x 512MB is inserted (Tried 2 x 512MB in yellow, got 3 LEDs). This is done now using the 700W OCZ GameXstream instead of the Ultra X2 550W. Also have floppy cable plugged in. Perhaps its a BIOS issue? *Shrugs* Anyways since its mostly working, I suppose I'll start reassembling everything back into the case now.

Edit: Bare minimums installed in case + watercooling. It posts, but I foudn that 2 of the 4 sticks of memory fails to post. It hangs up on VGA detection.