DFI RDX200/GSkill PC4800FF overclocking issues

cornelious0_0

Well, I realise it's been a little while, but here we go.

In an attempt to slightly lower my HTT and make it easier to fine tune the memory timings I decided to become a little more strict about my OC's. I had previously only run Prime for about 5 hours at 280x10 but have now been able to run it a full 24 hours at the same clock/voltage.

Surprisingly enough I can now simply set the memory to 1:1 1T 3-4-4-8 with no other changes made and it boots fine and runs through SuperPi 32M like a champ...whereas I had previously had to do a lot of work to SOMEtimes get 1T working at 1:1.

The only difference I can see is that my comp has been folding for the past two weeks basically 24/7...and it's possible that the Opty has actually been broken in...just the same as when I "broke in" my 3000+ venice awhile back, constant 100% use and after "x" amount of hours/days the overclocking did improve.

Hopefully the same has happened now, as 280x10 is 24hour prime stable and I dont have to make any other changes to get it to run SuperPi 32M at 1:1 1T 3-4-4-8.

Funny thing is that no matter what voltage changes I make to the board/cpu it errors in prime within the first two minutes at 285x10...so I'll have to get this processor wet before I continue towards 3GHz. :cool:

I'll keep you guys updated, just wanted to share the good news.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I realise it's been awhile, but a bit of an update is in order.

For some reason...after folding for more then 2 weeks 24/7 it is now a great deal easier to work with this memory issue.

The system boots and is fully stable at 280x10 1:1 1T 3-4-4-8 without changing any other DRAM options. The system even boots 100% of the time at 2.5-3-3-6...but is unstable...and not able to make it through a run of Aquamark3 without generating memory errors.

This seems to be a little more typical of an issue now, and I was hoping that someone would be able to chime in with some recomendations that'd stablize 2.5-3-3-6, as a number of tests see a good 20+ fps boost (the openning scene of Aquamark3 and Dragothic low detail in 3dmark2001) merely from being able to bench at CAS2.5...and I'd really like to see what kind of scores I'll be looking at in the end.

Any ideas?

280 MHz @ 2.5-3-3-6...but is unstable

your just asking to much from your ran

If you wont tight butt timing sale your TccD and get you some BH-5 In that board

I hate to disagree with you msmolt, but 280 @2.5-3-3-6 should be very very easy. In fact 290 to 295 at those timmings should be easy, 300 to 320 should do 2.5-4-3-6 or at the worst 2.5-4-4-8 it depends on how lucky you are with the chips.

@cornelious0_0, i don't know if you have tried lowering your vdimm down to say 2.65 or 2.7 but sometimes TCCD works better with a lower vdimm than a higher one.

This same memory/cpu/mobo combo has done 310x10 1:1 in the past, and this memory is very well known for hitting DDR600+ at the timings I'm trying to achieve...so I don't think it's asking too much at all.

I'm pretty sure I've tried anywhere from 2.7v to 2.9v to no avail...but I've obviously got some more work to do.

Right now I'm basically trying to find other DFI owners that've achieved memory clocks/timings with the RDX200 similar to what I'm aiming for.

there is Hmmm let me think . I think its kingfish or fisher that has that conbo. Might look in the 3 gig club tread for the only RDX200 in it Edit nope it ant kingfisher

Well, I didn't see anyone in the 3GHz club thread using the RDX200 and memory at the timings and/or clocks I'm trying to achieve...the only RDX200 user was using GSkill PC4000 ram at 275HTT with a 180MHz dividor.

Does anyone have any ideas???

Technically I can go one timing at a time and try every available option, but I dont even want to think about how long that'd take, and it doesn't take into account if I might need a combination of certain settings, and not just one timing/setting changed.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the long delay, but I finally have some more time to sit down with this system and get some tweaking done.

Does ANYone have any ideas as to what to try to get this thing running at 280x10 1:1 2.5-3-3-6 1T? All I have left to figure out is my timings, the ram's at 280MHz 1:1 1T but with 3-4-4-8 timings atm.

The only reason I'm brining this up again is because I'm supposed to be getting my second X850XT (mastercard) today, and with the massive gains I saw in a lot of benchmarks from going to CAS2.5 (when it was partially stable) is really pushing me to figure it out and get the most out of this system.

• 4 months later...
Sorry for the long delay, but I finally have some more time to sit down with this system and get some tweaking done.

Does ANYone have any ideas as to what to try to get this thing running at 280x10 1:1 2.5-3-3-6 1T? All I have left to figure out is my timings, the ram's at 280MHz 1:1 1T but with 3-4-4-8 timings atm.

The only reason I'm brining this up again is because I'm supposed to be getting my second X850XT (mastercard) today, and with the massive gains I saw in a lot of benchmarks from going to CAS2.5 (when it was partially stable) is really pushing me to figure it out and get the most out of this system.

don't worry mate, i've ordered RDX200 myself this week and i got the same G.Skill ram as you got, so when it arrive next week (I hope!) I'll let you know if I got the same problem as you ok? Will keep you update....