does the UltraII-m2 support new Opteron 1210 am2 cpus?

As heading really, got a liitle bit of spare cash and I fancy getting the UltraII-m2 motherboard and a new Opteron 1210 cpu with 2x1mb cache for a bit of fun. Does anyone know if the UltraII will support the new santa ana Opteron cored cpus witht the stock bios that comes on the motherboard? I know these chips are brand new on the market but surely some mobos must be capable of booting them.

Hope someone can help.

Rob H

As heading really, got a liitle bit of spare cash and I fancy getting the UltraII-m2 motherboard and a new Opteron 1210 cpu with 2x1mb cache for a bit of fun. Does anyone know if the UltraII will support the new santa ana Opteron cored cpus witht the stock bios that comes on the motherboard? I know these chips are brand new on the market but surely some mobos must be capable of booting them.

Hope someone can help.

Rob H

Support is the wrong word to use, i would just ask if the CPU works on the board....the board will I doubt ever support Opteron just like the older NF4 boards did not ;)

in theory.. it should recognize the chip as either generic amd athlon or generic amd, depending on settings.. but who'll be the first to test this? im tempted, although I'm one to be skeptical that this is really no more than a 2x1 x2 3800 with virtualization (393 opteron 165 vs 3800 anyone?)

of course the opterons are supposed to be 'top grade' in theory, but in practice will the difference truly merit the price tag?

If the Santa Ana core really is much different than it's Athlon cousins, I wonder what it can do. There certainly haven't been a massive number of people who've plopped down 3 bills to find out what the successor to the '165' can do. I'd sure like to find out, but I don't know if I really want to be the guinea pig..

I got an email addy from H_G that was to the Tech guys at the factory.

Dear User:

Thanks for your enquiry.

We will look into this question and let you know as soon as we have any update information.

Best Regard,

Frankie Hsieh

Technical Support Engineer

That's what I got back. I would figure an AM2 Opty would be much like a 939 Opty. You get more cache and may or may not get better OCing.

wait the 3800 has virtualization too.. so I'd really like to know how much more than the extra cache this opteron really brings to the table for the additional 100+ dollars it costs.

The Opteron 165 was always more expensive than the 3800+, it's still ~$80 more at this time.

The opterons are just held to a higher standard of quality I suspect, and this higher quality generally allows for superior overclocks.

I think it's safe to say that if they work in normal boards, they'll overclock pretty well.

officially...no support for Opterons (just like always)

unofficially...if it is an AM2 then it shouldn't have an issue working (and DFI will make a bios that recognizes it as they know probably 33% to 50% of their customers will choose an Opteron...and there's no way they are going to lose up to 50% of their potential customers)

I am so tempted to whop down the dosh on this opteron, will check my online banking later.............

Rob H

If I was to go to AM2 an Opty is what I would buy. I've come close to pulling the trigger on this a few times since the 1200 series became available. I'm having a hard time talking myself into spending the money necessary to upgrade from what I currently have.

I got to tell you all

right before i took off to play ice hockey today (which i injured my back and will be immobile for about 3-5 days now grrr), I just cranked up the NF590 with a 4800+ X2 AM2 to 240x12 @ 2860Mhz and it's been cranking out dual-prime for about 4+ hours...on air...with very little effort.

I think there's a big difference between the AM2 X2's and the 939 X2's in terms of clocking ability...remember the 939 4800+ was near the top of the clock and would almost never give you more than 200-400Mhz overclock and you had to fight it pretty hard...but I think these AM2 cpu's are quite different honestly.

I'm going to cut off the IHS from this 4800+ and then put it under a Danger Den TDX waterblock as soon as I can do more than sit in this chair screaming in pain and let everyone know the results