Kinston Hyper-X BH-5 on DFI (Lanparty SLi-D)

haha well as you know kingston ya better check & you do know that BH-5 loves 3.2+volts right?

Yeah I know ;)

At the moment when I install the module it will not let me switch the VDRAM voltage. If for instance I change it from 2.6v (SPD) to 2.8v then hit enter and move to the next BIOS field it reverts back to 2.6v (??)

Could all this stem from using the 2005/01/25 BIOS? (Only picked the board up second hand last week)

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol Oh that mean you didn't do your homework before buying this board? its not a plug and play board so set back enjoy the teaching your gonna get. when your done tweaking in three months you will have learned a grate experience :D

Join the club I have a bald spot on my head from pulling my hair in frustration. But keep in mind that theese boards overclock like nothing else. I have had no trouble so far with the 11/14 bios but I haven't tried too many of them. and if you decide to move the voltage jumper make sure you put a fan blowing on the heatsink in the upper right corner of the mb. With the trouble your having upping the voltage it might be a good idea to look into a booster for the memory so you can up the voltage that way. They are fairly cheap and should be easy to find. I hope you can get this running my buddy is always knocking my bh-5 and says I should've gotten tccd but they can't keep the tight timings at the high frequencies. Good luck to ya and I hope this helps.

Join the club I have a bald spot on my head from pulling my hair in frustration. But keep in mind that theese boards overclock like nothing else. I have had no trouble so far with the 11/14 bios but I haven't tried too many of them. and if you decide to move the voltage jumper make sure you put a fan blowing on the heatsink in the upper right corner of the mb. With the trouble your having upping the voltage it might be a good idea to look into a booster for the memory so you can up the voltage that way. They are fairly cheap and should be easy to find. I hope you can get this running my buddy is always knocking my bh-5 and says I should've gotten tccd but they can't keep the tight timings at the high frequencies. Good luck to ya and I hope this helps.

Hi jbdude,

Any chance you could post your BIOS settings for running the BH-5 at 245Mhz.

Cheers mate

Sadly I just use the optimized defaults and manually set the first four only and its worked. BUt just in case it'll help they are from top to bottom 2-2-5-2-7-auto-2-2-2-3. I have no idea to find out what the comp is using in the one that is still auto but if anyone knows how to find out i can add that in there. I haven't messed with the timings too much because i have no idea what all those numbers mean and since it worked i just left it alone. I use the board to overvolt the memory (no booster) and i keep the voltage at 3.3 in the bios (but it reads 3.4) and use a 80 m fan on the memory and one on the heatsink on the voltage controller for the v dimm ( upper right corner of the board). I hope this helps someone as this forum has saved me alot of headaches when i was getting this thing running and I'd like to give back as much as possible.

• 2 weeks later...

Right a bit of a late update but thought I better share my experience.

The BH-5 (Kingston Yes Kingston!) is rock solid stable :)

I updated the BIOS to 6-23, reset the CMOS and installed one module in the orange slot and booted up into the BIOS Set the timings to the BH-5 settings supplied by you guys and set the voltage to 3.0v. Powered down then installed both modules in yellow slots then booted up normally.

Now I have the memory stable at DDR450 2-2-2-5 @ 3.2v with active memory cooling.

Currently have the system running at 1:1 giving me an overclock of 2.475GHz for the moment.

They are also stable at DDR480 (still 3.2v) but get a bit toasty. Need another fan before pushing it long term.

I will be making a try at DDR500 on these modules which will give me 2.7GHz which I will be happy with :)

Fantastic !!! I'll be trying the 6/23 bios later to see if I can squeeze a little more out of my bh-5. Excellent job getting that kingston ram to clock like that especially since most of the time that brand of ram doesn't even work in theese boards much less overclock like a mother. Let us know how far you get it I have heard that theese chips can handle up to 270 but I haven't been able to get mine past the 250 mark.

Fantastic !!! I'll be trying the 6/23 bios later to see if I can squeeze a little more out of my bh-5. Excellent job getting that kingston ram to clock like that especially since most of the time that brand of ram doesn't even work in theese boards much less overclock like a mother. Let us know how far you get it I have heard that theese chips can handle up to 270 but I haven't been able to get mine past the 250 mark.

Thanks for the support :)

Yeah I so glad that I have been one of the minority to get decent results from this maufacturer, I took a big gamble with thses modules since a few people said to me about the incompatabilities of these on DFI.

Im still very much a greenhorn when it comes to DFI, Its the biggest learning experience in my computing life and has been a rollercoaster along the way lol.

Some pics of my build can be found here: http://www.overclock.net/amd-build-logs/11...nture-into.html

DDR500 here we come :D

EDIT: I dont suppose anyone knows where I can get hold of purpose built RAM cooling solutions or am I just better getting hold of a couple of say, 60mm fans, glueing them sided by side then some how mount them over the DRAM slots?

Any ideas welcome :)