2000$ and beyond confused.... Conroe / fx2?

dManufacture

evil, swap the armor case for the transformer, both full size half the price and great reviews, also step out of the 4800 down to 4200-4600, save a couple bux here and there, oc to get you where you would like to be otherwise.

im really getting an opteron 165

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's dropping Asus all together, not just that specific board.

no way you can pm me and speculate? Hah... itching here to get something started. I had surgery on my left leg on friday, So it'd be kinda nice to have something to do/ put together over the next week or so. I fractured my femur in a car accident two years ago, had a Ti rod inserted. just had it removed.

i NEVER speculate

you can ask 20,000+ members here about how adamant I am on that subject

HG you think you could get a nice gaming rig with $1700?

hell yes

I've built probably 10 of them for local friends/customers this year alone, all purchased from Newegg + SVC.com (cases and cooling from SVC usually)

fat dual-core rigs with X1900XT's and OCZ GamerXstream psu's (Powerstreams before the GX came out), 2GB PC4000 memory, RAID, watercooling sometimes, DVD burner, Audigy2 ZS sound etc

not no little girly rigs heh

if you want some help on spending that $1700, just ask me and I'll put my list together as to what I personally would buy if I had $1700 to blow....just make sure you alert me as to whether you need just the tower (because you already have mouse, keyboard, monitor, and speakers), or you need those extras included in that price.

HG you think you could get a nice gaming rig with $1700?

I literally just put a roommates computer together today that cost $1300 including everything, even a 19" widescreen monitor and shipping.

DFI Lanparty Ultra-D

AMD 3800+ X2

2x1GB OCZ Gold GX DDR500 (I think is what it was)

XFX 7900GT

Zalman 7700Cu

Zalman VF-900

2x 80GB Hitachi drives

Coolermaster Centurion case

Black Lite-on DVD burner

600 watt Fortron Epsilon PSU

Viewsonice 19" widescreen

Logitech GX1000? Wireless keyboard/mouse combo

So for an extra $400 (depending on your needs, you may have more if you already have monitoer, keyboard, etc) you'd probably want more hard drive space, and of course upgrade the video card to probably an X1900XT...

And I suppose if you don't wish to overclock you could get a faster processor...

Just be sure to leave enough for an OS if you don't already have one.

Honestly other than getting an X1900XT I don't know what I'd do to improve on the above system though, especially once I get him overclocking.

Edit: @dManufacture

Sorry, didn't see you say you were sticking with AM2. Thats fine, but it's going to cost around $100-$150 more for some good DDR2 1000 (if overclocking), maybe around $100 more for the board (if H_G says it's solid it probably is a good place to start), and then whatever processor you want. Otherwise everything can be held the same pretty much.

I've got the NF Ultra II-M2 + 3800+ X2 AM2 + DDR2-1000Mhz OCZ 2GB at about 9h prime95 behind me (250x10 @ 2500Mhz, the memory at 1000Mhz)

I've got a lot of data to post up in the next day or so as well as the OCDB entry for the machine behind me. I don't know the limit of the overclocking on it yet (this is just the first attempt at it and it easily went to 250x10 without me changing much at all), but I can say that it will do fine heh.

I'm actually quite pleased with it.

Sure it might not be a "Lanparty" but I don't really care since I'm not a monster overclocker anymore. I like decent overclocks (extra 500-1000Mhz is fine with me, mostly 500-750 is where I sit).

I also don't care about teh colors anymore. I only care that the board is solid and stable and overclocks to my liking and so far the Infinity AM2 does all that.