[RESOLVED]Game Freeze & Sound Loop

A single failure of test #6 after ten hours of run time wouldn't concern me whatsoever. It's beginning to look a lot like what has been posted earlier. It comes down more than likely to a power supply issue or driver issue. If I were you I'd attack both at once.

1. Save up and buy you the OCZ 700W GXS or the Fortron FX-700

2. Download the latest nVidia GeForce drivers

3. Uninstall you existing v/c drivers and use Driver Cleaner Pro to remove an remnant files, folders, registry entries and .dll files

4. Reboot and install the fresh set of drivers

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all the support Wevsspot and everyone else that posted in this thread! The OCZ 700W GXS arrives tomorrow. I'll post back to report how things went. Hopefully, it works and anyone else that getting game freezes w/ sound loops can refer to this thread for the solution in the future.

The OCZ 700w GXS should do you nicely! My 12v rail is always around 12.41, and the 3.3+ and 5+ rails are usually pretty damn close to 3.3v and 5v.

Here's a shot of mbm5 after running dual prime for 14hrs.

2800mhz233fsb13hrprimestable1kp8.th.jpg

Pretty stable rails!

Here's an update on my system:

The OCZ GXS 700W only fixed my cold boot problems. I still get the same problem in 3D applications (after multiple driver sweeps). I do not get these reboots when I'm only using one video card in 16x mode. Both video cards can run independently -- just not in SLI. I have only yet to do a clean O/S install, which is my final step. After this, I'm most likely going to RMA either the video cards OR the motherboard (again). However, the video cards are modded, so I would need to remove my cooling units and install the stock ones back on.

**While in the process of installing various Nvidia drivers, I installed the IDE drivers -- they are bad news, lol. Though, I took care of that problem right away.**

In which case you could test each card individually, and assuming they work fine as singles, just eBay them off as singles one at a time, making sure not to sell both cards to the same person, so they wouldn't experience the same problem.

Then it's time for a REAL video card . . . . saying that light heartedly so I can be bombarded by the nVidia crew! Love you guys :)

yes I have and it's solid.....exactly the symptoms your having....solid in 2d sound crash in 3d. I have already contacted DFI direct. they are looking at some serling work a gent on here called Muppet has done,,,,,,,,,,,,

after all thr hassle mine is working solid using SLI. 7800GT's, However there is other things in Bios that might make a tweak......drop your htt to x4 ..i was the same as you a couple of week ago, once you sort this out you will enjoy stability. try to be patient,

for further help can you try to post your bios, also your using the 8 plug rail connector as other psu's use a 4 pin and you may not be utilising the psu at its best, the socket is located next to the mobo psu socket.

Good call magpie. It was the HyperTransport bus stalling the system (which is why I would see hear problems with all devices on the PCI bus). The only two types of cards installed on that bus are the video and sound. I reduced the HTT down to 4x and found much more stability. I guess this thread can be closed with Magpie's solution, "drop you htt to x4."

Thanks everyone for all the support!

It was the HyperTransport bus stalling the system (which is why I would see hear problems with all devices on the PCI bus). The only two types of cards installed on that bus are the video and sound. I reduced the HTT down to 4x and found much more stability. "drop you htt to x4."

Where exactly is this done?