Urgent Request - Flashing Diag LED and NO boot???

I just had a similar problem. My rig was running fine for 6 months. I went away on a long business trip. Got back a month later & the damn thing wouldn't post with the blinking LED. A short CMOS clear did the trick though.

Have no idea what could've happened though. I unplugged all external cables why I was away, so it wouldn't have been lightening, brownouts, etc.

Well, now that I have a new PSU and video card, I tried a 24 hour CMOS clear. Failure. Attempting to power on simply caused the four Debug LEDs to flash and all the fans to spin briefly. Nothing else happens. Is it time to RMA the MOBO?

@IncredibleHat and Sifu

I see Seasonic power supplies in both sigs.

These units have a known issue that is only resolved by replacing the unit with a newer version from Seasonic or a completely different PSU.

The flashing Amber LED is an indicator of an unstable 5VSB rail in the PSU.

hi guys

ive had this problem for about 8 months and ive cured it

my machine like yours was running anything i threw at it with no crashes for months all o/clocked then one it did crash and rebooted to the led blinking so i went on ocz forums and eventually with help from a moderator found a temp fix which was desinated for ocz vx memery but i do see alot of non ocz ram users having same problem so ill write out the fix

you should notice that only one dimm works on its own it one of the bottom slots and the other wont work on it own but its not broke as there a bug in the mobo which this info should help

1 - clear cmos jumper

2 - place your working dimm in slot 2 [only one dimm] [furthest orange from cpu if same mobo as mine]

3 - boot up bourd

4 - go in bios

5 - anable memtest

6 - on the dram config page set the 4 main timings to what you should have them at [cas-trcd-trp-tras] also set your dram voltage to manual not auto as auto can be buggy you will have to find out your dimm voltage from supplier

7 - choose save and exit /yes

8 - once you see memtest power down pc straight away

9 - now insert the spare dimm into slot 4 closest to cpu

10-now power up pc and it should go to memtest and pass without any problems

infact it did it to me again 2 hours ago it mainly happens when system is overclocked so today i eventaully had the hack of using the 4v jumper which i been dreading to use and after all that it booted

so the problem lies with power to the memery dimms with mine not getting anough

has anyone have this problem with the 4v jumper already in use

hope this help anyone as it temperary fix mine

@ace1981

There is no problem with the motherboard. You're running with a very underpowered PSU causing it to run under stress.

See this post for information that's almost two years old.

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...73&postcount=13

Running your rig for so long on an underpowered PSU can and will cause issues, some of which can be fatal to your hardware. Get a proper PSU and be done with it.

@ace1981

There is no problem with the motherboard. You're running with a very underpowered PSU causing it to run under stress.

See this post for information that's almost two years old.

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...73&postcount=13

Running your rig for so long on an underpowered PSU can and will cause issues, some of which can be fatal to your hardware. Get a proper PSU and be done with it.

so how come [if what you say is true that the psu is the problem ]

"one of my vx's fried under the same flashing lights took me 3 hours to get a response and found it work with one out so i swapped it and found the other is dead"happened two days ago

imo it nothing to do with the psu as ocz support vaugly said it a bug bettween the motherbourd circiuts and the ddr's

and that thread has been opened for 2 years i have only bought these in january from a xmax gift

ocz said they will give me 1 gig of platinum el 4200 in exchange for my vx:) :drool:

People will believe what they want to believe in spite of the facts surrounding the situation.

All I can tell you is what the facts have presented.

Regardless of what the OCZ tech said, the Amber LED flash is a indication that the PSU isn't delivering the proper voltage to the board.

The board is detecting that the PSU isn't delivering the proper voltage.

I repeat, the PSU is not delivering the proper voltage to the motherboard so the board gives you a diagnostic indication.

Now if you want to believe the board is the problem so be it. But obviously if the PSU was delivering the proper voltage the motherboard would not be giving you a fault indication.

If the memory has died causing an internal short, the Amber LED will flash to indicate the memory has died causing a voltage problem.

So here's how you test. Pull the memory and test in another rig. If the memory tests OK then the indicator is telling you the PSU is bad. If the memory fails in another rig the memory is bad.

Those are the facts.

so how come [if what you say is true that the psu is the problem ]

"one of my vx's fried under the same flashing lights took me 3 hours to get a response and found it work with one out so i swapped it and found the other is dead"happened two days ago

imo it nothing to do with the psu as ocz support vaugly said it a bug bettween the motherbourd circiuts and the ddr's

and that thread has been opened for 2 years i have only bought these in january from a xmax gift

ocz said they will give me 1 gig of platinum el 4200 in exchange for my vx:) :drool:

People will believe what they want to believe in spite of the facts surrounding the situation.

All I can tell you is what the facts have presented.

Regardless of what the OCZ tech said, the Amber LED flash is a indication that the PSU isn't delivering the proper voltage to the board.

The board is detecting that the PSU isn't delivering the proper voltage.

I repeat, the PSU is not delivering the proper voltage to the motherboard so the board gives you a diagnostic indication.

Now if you want to believe the board is the problem so be it. But obviously if the PSU was delivering the proper voltage the motherboard would not be giving you a fault indication.

If the memory has died causing an internal short, the Amber LED will flash to indicate the memory has died causing a voltage problem.

So here's how you test. Pull the memory and test in another rig. If the memory tests OK then the indicator is telling you the PSU is bad. If the memory fails in another rig the memory is bad.

Those are the facts.

hi m8:) it was just ive had no problems with my ocz psu and it has a adjustable rails with 3 lights and there all green if theres a red light then the manual says it not good anough for my system

so the psu i presume is doing its job

im not contridicting what your saying tho just i think my psu has been a reliable psu and ive had no silly crashes since i install this and ram together it was only 3 month into using it one morning it gave me a flashing light :)

so when i get a new pair of vx or platinums in your oppinion would i still get this problem

platinums are lower voltage so that may help?

cya

I have been having similar problems with my memory (not being able to post in dual channel). However my amber LED's do not blink. I always get stuck at 3 red led's on bootup. Now it seems one of the RAM sticks is dead, again. I even tested that in my friend's system and it is defintely dead. This will be my third RMA to OCZ using their RAM in a DFI board. I have never had RAM fried using another motherboard. My rails are always green and as you can see I have a proper PSU. OCZ was even nice enough to upgrade me to a 2GB kit from 2 512 sticks that were not in a kit for free.

What happened was I was using a cheap cooler and I replaced it with my Ninja. After that, this problem started. That was in about february, and nothing has changed. I even tested everything in a friend's system OK, except the motherboard. So I RMA'd that, and DFI sent me a new one. But the same problem.

So apparently every component works individually, but not together. One thing I notice is that we all have Opteron's...Is there anything different about the Opteron's architecture/design (specifically the memory controller) from the A64/FX that could be causing memory issues?

Perhaps we should all post out motherboard revisions and compare them to see if we have older designs that are possibly not compatible with Opterons? I don't know I am completely out of ideas at this point.

Perhaps we should all post out motherboard revisions and compare them to see if we have older designs that are possibly not compatible with Opteron's? I don['t know I am completely out of ideas at this point.

The motherboard revisions only indicate the shipping BIOS version. The motherboards are all produced in a single run then packaged as needed. The nF4 Chipset and BIOS chip are added at the last possible minute to allow for the latest BIOS to be shipped.