"Core Temp" - monitor temps on K8s and Core/2 CPUs (updated

The Coolest

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ah... sliencer, the expert is known to have ... hmm, bad sensors... i would never trust it (unless you measured it...)...

unless you on water, a 6c delta in load is too little... meaning the CoreTemp program is probably a lot more correct...

i suggest you put the new expert bios and put the +10 to the C in it...

Silencer is running a dual core and only quoted one temp.

Can you tell us what each core is reading to satisfy my curiousity SIlencer?

And how exactly did you load the processor and how long did it run (see Praz's earlier post #25)

I think TheCoolest's point about the program being accurate but the ThermalSensor perhaps having a variance may have some bearing here as well. I'm in love with any program that gives me a better handle on temps.

But I don't think there is reason to panic in most situations.

I've been using MBM5 and SG on this board OCed to 3G for 5 months now.

If I haven't had issues with Prime 95, Games, or other benchmarks. No reboots, No BSODS, No problems. I doubt if a catastrophe is at hand.

But we may have to accept the fact that previous sensor readings that we trusted will read low COMPARED to the K8 Thermal sensor readings. More like the K7 readings we used to have.

A standard method/test of heating up the processor (define load) and letting it cool off (define Idle) is gonna be needed for meaningful results. We are comparing two different sensors that are being read in different manners so you can be sure they will NOT match.

acctually, i think he do need to panik.

Mbm/Smart guaridan, etc, gives your the temps from the MOBO, meaning (as he has an expert) they can have an offset of more then 10, if not more (last board i had, had 17c offset. i got 19c idle. rofl), on the other hand, CoreTemp, gives your from Register from the CPU.

Meaning, Even both arent that accurate, he's temps are probably a LOT closer to what the CoreTmp gave.

For example, i get idle here (im on stock now)

Mobo (mbm) - with offest +10

36-37 idle

~44-46 load

Core Temp

28-29/31-32 idle

39-42/40-41 Load.

which is probably a lot more accurate, as my ambient is less then 30, im running water cooling and i have PwMic of 35-38, chipest 44...

I wouldnt take each program as being 100% accurate, but atleast the average of them both, if not more precentage to the CoreTemp...

Latz

Ok, normally my CPU load is 50%, since I'm running seti@home in the background 24/7.

When idle, SG reports 33-34 C, and CoreTemp reports 41-42 C.

When running dual prime (prime.exe -A1 etc.) with 900mbs of ram allocated to each instance, and letting it run for a few hours, SG reports 42-43 C and CoreTemp reports 55-58 C ! However I have no stability problems and I've dual primed my rig for almost 24 hours whilst using it at the same time, no problems whatsoever...

Note that core #2 appears to run hotter than core # 1 which is always a 1-3 degrees cooler...

Just to be on the safe side, I removed my HSF and reapplied fresh AS5 and replaced it... I got the exact same temps.

I guess there's a problem with my case's airflow, since I've noticed it runs hot when dual priming...

Bring on the new case fans! :-p

Out of curiosity, I downloaded and ran the program, I see the following temperatures for my FX-60 (on water): Core #1: 24°C & Core #2: 30°C. With MBB5, it bounces between 30°C and 31°C and SmartGuardian reads the same. Could this mean that my temperature as read by MBM5 and SmartGuardian is reasonably accurate?

On another note, I see a 5-6°C difference between Core #1 and #2. I imagine this is normal (and why core #2 usually fails first when Prime-ing) but could some other dual-core users please post their temperatures to set my mind to rest.

Mbm/Smart guaridan, etc, gives your the temps from the MOBO, meaning (as he has an expert) they can have an offset of more then 10, if not more (last board i had, had 17c offset. i got 19c idle. rofl)

This is not 100%. I've had Expert boards that were off as much as you have stated and others that appeared to be dead on.

On another note, I see a 5-6°C difference between Core #1 and #2. I imagine this is normal (and why core #2 usually fails first when Prime-ing) but could some other dual-core users please post their temperatures to set my mind to rest.

On dual core processors it appears AMD didn't even attempt to calibrate both cores. Not always but normally core 0 is the one that is completely off.

AMD describe how to get a measurement reading that is within 2c of the junction temperature(the hottest part of the processor). If I can find the proper diameter thermocouple for my Fluke I'm going to take some measurements.

Praz, well yes, i had 3 till now (1 dead from start, 1... died :)

the one that died was more or less dead on...

my current one is about 7-8C below the accurate i believe...

im not saying its definitly wrong, im just saying that if the core temp states such a different temp, he's expert is really not calibrated...

thats it :)

i only wish that this coretemp would be future "pluginized" into mbm or something else...

i only wish that this coretemp would be future "pluginized" into mbm or something else...

So do I. I'm sure I can get it to display in Samurize but I would still need MBM running to import the other readings.

MBM with dfi setup file idle 30-32 load 38-41

Core temp idle core0 42-44 core1 33-35 load core0 56-59 core1 49-52

Nextsensor follow core temp within 1 degree

load is with dual prime

and for the record fan settings in bios follow MBM readings

So is it usual with this dif on the 2 cores and if not wich one is correct? I also find it strange that fan settings follow MBM when it was stated bios dont use the diod for heatcontroll.

The reading at almost 60 is pretty worrying to say the least... the system is dual prime stable 10h+ at this setting though and if it really was 60 you'd think I would have seen some reboots by now... or?

It is common for the 2 cores to report quite different temperatures. No one is really sure what the correct reading is. AMD has not supplied much info pertaining to the thermal sensor. I think you are confusing the diode and the sensor. The BIOS along with programs like MBM use the sensor on the motherboard to read the thermal diode. The processor uses the internal thermal sensor for the ThermTrip register. This register is used to shut down the processor in case of overheating. It is independent of and has no connection to the BIOS. As long as your system is stable I wouldn't be too concerned about the readings.