Great Hard Drives For Raid "0"

Noobie

...if you want simple bang for the buck performance, I think the Hitachi 80-160 etc series of SATA drive is the winner with most here.

For slightly lower (you won't notice outside of a benchmark) and more reliability and long (5 year) warrantee, go with the Seagate series as shown in my sig (capacity is up to your needs, speeds are pretty similar on these from 160 to 250.

You say you don't want WD... ok... but avoid Maxtor at all costs. Not reliable enough for RAID and the risks that go with it.

Pick up a cheap 300+ gig Parallel ATA drive and make GOOD backups to it with something quality... (I use Norton Ghost every nite at 3am automatically) RAID0 is the fastest thing alive, but cannot be rebuilt without backups if something happens or fails. Outside of servers (hot!) I have had only one problem with a Seagate drive ever... and that one had run for over 6 years 24/7.... and I have a functional IBM PC/XT portable (suitcase sized) that I used as a kid and the 30MEG (seriously) hard drive still works great... damn fast for its time but more impressive for the reliability.

If cost is no object and you're looking for speed over capacity I would say Raptor, but you don't like WD, so I recommend Cheetah 15k (or 10k for less money)

So if i get the Hitachi 80GB OR Samsung 80GB all I can find is SATA II. Will I have to Jumper them to SATA 150 to get them to work ? Or Will the SATA II – 3.0Gb/s work like a charm ?

I have always used Seagate and have never had a failure with Raid0 arrays. I always keep essentials backed up of course, but I have been lucky enough not to have any issues. On top of that, I have never kept a HDD for as long as 5 years... they usually get sold or relegated to a caddy for limited use.... So having a 5 year warranty is a good piece of mind if the life of your storage needs is less then that.

Seagates are what I use in my raid setup.. I also have a WD Caviar SE 16 500GB that I'm really shocked at its speed-very fast!

I have an older WD 200 GB in my ultra d system that I use as my back up... I'm going to add another 80gb to that system and make it raid also..

and add something bigger for storage...Raid...

But Seagate gets overall my vote..