How many hours of prime is stable?

Guest mars_merged

I know people say 24hr-prime-stable. Is a rig "unstable" if it stops at 4hr or 6hr? Should it theoretically be able to run forever if your OC is stable?

What about running other apps while prime is running? Do people recommend this to determine stability?

Thanks,

Mars.

I usally go for at least 8 hours but it depends on preference. 4 to 6 hours should be stable enough to give you few problems.

I run other apps all the time while priming since I figure it is just stressing the comp more and haven't ran into any problems

Should it theoretically be able to run forever if your OC is stable?

Mars.

Hi,

prime will always fail sooner or later (I mean it won´t run forever), even without overclocking.

Check the rules for the Overclocking-Database and run the mentioned stress-tests. If you can pass the all you can be pretty sure that your rig/oc is stable. It´s also a good idea to post your settings in the database after proving stability.

Good luck!

Gipse

Hi,

prime will always fail sooner or later (I mean it won´t run forever), even without overclocking.

Check the rules for the Overclocking-Database and run the mentioned stress-tests. If you can pass the all you can be pretty sure that your rig/oc is stable. It´s also a good idea to post your settings in the database after proving stability.

Good luck!

Gipse

ahh... im pretty sure your totally mistaken, prime calcs numbers, if it has an error, you have an error, prime should be able to run for ever. usually 24 is enough for knowing if your stable, i had an error @ 24:20 and once at 28 hours...

and that is enough for you to know it aint totally stable

ahh... im pretty sure your totally mistaken, prime calcs numbers, if it has an error, you have an error, prime should be able to run for ever.

You might be right when you only look for hardware stability... Prime can also crash because of software (Windows) errors. That´s the reason why XP crashes after several days/weeks without any "load".

Gipse

8 hours should be enough for a gaming rig. If you're going to run Folding@Home or some other app that will use the CPU 24/7 then 24 hours would be better.

You don't have to run other apps while priming. P95 with the correct RAM usage settings will give it a more than sufficient workout. I surf the net and watch movies but just because I want to use the computer, not to stress it some more. Some people like to loop one of the 3DMark tests while priming and I can see the merit in that, just make sure you set RAM usage correctly so the page file isn't being constantly used.

IMO, with 4 hours of error free Prime95 (or dual if dual core) is more than enough to be sure normal everyday tasks won't crash the system.

100% stable system requires like 100 hours of Prime95 or dual Prime95... failure to meet this requirement and the system should not be considered 100% stable for some very important tasks. Hehe, but nobody requires such a system :)

Guest GripS

Regarding prime. Yes a good 8 hours should be run considering your overclock stable.

Prime95 is about the hardest you will work your computer and if it passes for 8 hours you can be fairly confident it will handle whatever you throw at it.

I personally don't get running your PC 24/7. I shut my computer(s) down almost every night. No point in wasting energy when i'm not using it. Some will say this is harder on your components but my 2 other computers have been run the same way and guess what? They still run just fine. 1 is 6 years old and the other is 3. This one here is about 4 months old.

I personally don't get running your PC 24/7. I shut my computer(s) down almost every night. No point in wasting energy when i'm not using it. Some will say this is harder on your components but my 2 other computers have been run the same way and guess what? They still run just fine. 1 is 6 years old and the other is 3. This one here is about 4 months old.

I think and do the same thing with the main, high consuming energy, system... even if some of the hardware, like hard drives, will suffer more damage than running 24/7. I have a third rig that I leave running all the time, sort of a "file server"... but it is a low power Mobile 2600+ AthlonXP so its less power consuming.

Thanks for all of the replies.

I won't run my PC 24/7 - it's just a waste of energy and the world can't afford to waste any more energy. Also, unless I could get the box completely quiet, it wouldn't be fair on the wife and kids.

I guess what I am looking for is no reboots during critical tasks, and 4-8hrs prime seems to sort this out.

It is also handy for finding your max CPU temp. Sometimes I think, gee I never go over 50C and then I prime for 8hrs and see that it really hits 55C and then I tone down the OC. Don't want to throw out the CPU before its time :)