Immersive cooling - ultimate cool?

scyphe

I think this has to be the ultimate cooling (as long as the system is closed and the liquid known as Galden can be sufficiently cooled). Imagine an aquarium with a clear liquid. On the bottom of a layer of pimp rock sits a motherboard with all necessary components (cpu, ram, gfx etc. etc.) powered up. The liquid is constantly pumped through a filter to keep it clear, and the temp of the liquid is -90C. Would that be sufficient cooling?

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=32959

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest caffeinejunkie

Nope it's not a joke. Seen people do it a long time ago with oil. I dont see it being very practical. And if this liquid was kept at -90c you would never see through the case due to the massive ammount of condensation on the outside of the case.

lol, is this a joke?

i hope so if not i have lost my mind...a computer running underwater? lol

No, not a joke. The liquid (called Galden) is non-conductive, non-toxic, non-flammable.. I'd looooove to see some O/C tests with it. At over $400/gallon it's a tad expensive though. ;)

Nope it's not a joke. Seen people do it a long time ago with oil, I dont see it being very practica. And if this liquid was kept at -90c you would never see through the case due to the massive ammount of condensation on the outside of the case.

They'd better build in heatstrips in the walls of the tank then... ;)

Guest caffeinejunkie

Technically you could use demineralized water since it is non-conductive and theres alot of other things you can use aswell. Any liquid with conductivity below the range of 1 to 50 µS/cm should work.

Then there's always the issue of oxidation, thermal properties and other things to keep in mind. This stuff is supposed to be kind to plastics and other materials. Weird name though, Galden. I wonder if that's the name of the inventor.

Im thinking this stuff would be amazing for a water cooling setup....think about it as long as its not harmful to tygon or pumps, and doesnt react with copper it would make Water Cooling so much better than phase....of course at that price you say you might as well get phase...but wait if you have water cooling all your doing is upgrading...Plus you could throw in some UV dye maybe and there you have it a Water Cooling Machine gone phase....