[resolved]Game/System crashes due to SLI or PSU?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You XP 90 does not require lapping unless you scrathed it. You need to not only check the mounting of the heatsink and aplication of the TIM you should look at your case flow. Your temps would lead one to suspect you are in need of more airflow. Try to organise your cables and possibly butt fans if needed. I clean things off with Isopropal alchohol and will often reseat the CPU more than one time if I dont like the pattern of the TIM or the temps. Pratice makes perfect.

Holy %$*&! - that sums-up my initial impression of my new OCZ GameXStream 700w... My 4600x2 is STRUGGLING to get above 44c now, and when it does it can only maintain it for a few seconds. My IDLE temps dropped 5c (from 34 to 29), chipset temps dropped 10c, and even the GPU temp went down 5c (idle). I still need to test the heck out of this before I leave the computer alone for hours at a time, but so far things are looking very good... more updates coming...

It looks like things have levelled off - 2 instances of prime (after 20 minutes) have pushed the temps up to 44-46c, PWMIC is at 57c, and the chipset is at 49c, which means my temps went down something like this under load:

CPU: -32c

PWMIC: -4c

Chipset: -12c

On an additional note, the OCZ freakin' rocks - all of the cables are sleeved and the thing just looks and feels like the best-quality PSU in the world. For the setup I'm running now I actually took away a fan from the case (side intake) and my temps have still lowered to what you see above.

Now, to figure out what happened to the other PSU - that should be fun. I think I'll be filling-out an RMA form in the near future as I plan my next build.

Hokie, welcome to the world of running your rig with a high powered, high quality power supply. As I said in a previous post, Power Supply problems can manifest themselves in the strangest ways. I've seen everything from "my hard drive isn't detected", to "high temps", to "I've added a new stick of RAM and now my machine won't boot".

I'll admit to being a naysayer in the early days, but after I bought my first OCZ 520W Powerstream, I was a convert. A good power supply DOES make a difference.

Congrats on your new found success!

I'll admit to being a naysayer in the early days, but after I bought my first OCZ 520W Powerstream, I was a convert. A good power supply DOES make a difference.

Congrats on your new found success!

I'm sold on OCZ power supplies for a while - it's going to take one hell of a PSU to make me change brand allegiance. Thanks for all the help!

alert - newbie in the street!

having just got hold of my first DFI board, installed about 4 weeks ago and everything running peachy.

However, last night on 4 seperate occasions my pc hung completely whilst playing BF2. I couldn't alt+tab out to windows or anything - had to reset the whole system.

My overclock is fine, prime stable for 23hrs, etc but saw this thread and i think due to the temps in the uk yesterday, i am guessing that my system shutdown/crash as the motherboard temps/nb temps were idling @ 52/54 before and then reached 60+ when the crash occured.

The cpu was fine under load - 47 max.

This is the first time it has ever done this and would this be caused by 60+ degree motherboard temps and northbridge temps??

HokieRif

Whooo. Glad you’re up and running, at full steam again.

I think I’m going to get this tattooed on myself.

“A good quality PSU with all the power connectors plugged in will make a world of difference in stability and overclocking.”

º¿º

booyaka,

Welcome To DFI-Street

Start a thread on your question or issue. As you see HokieRif issue turned out to be PSU related.

Start with looking at your PSU and check these threads out Recommended! - PowerSupplies and PSU Brands to Avoid.

alert - newbie in the street!

having just got hold of my first DFI board, installed about 4 weeks ago and everything running peachy.

However, last night on 4 seperate occasions my pc hung completely whilst playing BF2. I couldn't alt+tab out to windows or anything - had to reset the whole system.

My overclock is fine, prime stable for 23hrs, etc but saw this thread and i think due to the temps in the uk yesterday, i am guessing that my system shutdown/crash as the motherboard temps/nb temps were idling @ 52/54 before and then reached 60+ when the crash occured.

The cpu was fine under load - 47 max.

This is the first time it has ever done this and would this be caused by 60+ degree motherboard temps and northbridge temps??

Booyaka,

First off welcome to the street. I'd recommend that you start your own thread to discuss the strange lock up issue you are reporting. Two reasons for this recommendation.

1. Thread jacking is frowned upon. We like to stay on topic with the original thread starter and we like to be polite.

2. You'll find more immediate answers to your questions by starting your own thread with your own thread title, than you will with a question buried in someone elses two page long thread.

Start your thread and I'll be right there.

Cheers.