UT Lanparty SLI-DR motherboard failure to boot

Hi, newie here, so Apologies if I cant express myself the most precise way.

My problem is that I try to update my system with a new heatsink fan and the evercool chipset fan as well. I installed both and follow angry-games tutorial to make sure everything was done properly. After I finished, I put my computer all together and started the system. In order to see the differences between the old and the new fans, I went straight to the setup menu and check the temperature of my system. After I lefted for like 10 minutes I shut down the computer and decided to start installing windows again due to the fact that Newegg had recently sent me back 2 hitachi drives 160GB that failed a couple of weeks before. So after installed the hard drives into the system and turn on the computer again my nightmare started to happen.

The system trys to boot, but only like for 2-3 seconds then it goes off. I keep trying and I dont get it to boot. I thought it was my video card because it sits ontop of the chipset fan(recently installed, but after taking out and positioned back on, nothing happens, the same problem persist. Then I check my memory, and same results. as a last resource I check the cpu. I took the Zalman fan out and try to turn the computer on and nothing happens, but as soon as I try to unlock the cpu from the socket and turn the computer on, the systems works but ofcourse no picture or booting activity. So I'm not sure if my problem is the motherboard, the cpu, the video card or the Powersupply. Funny thing is that as soon as I lock the cpu in the socket again the problem starts to happen all over again. Another thing I noticed is that with the power cables that go into the motherbard, the four-pin cable when is off, the system works well, no picture or booting activity, but the cpu fan works, the chipset fan works and the video card fan works so the entire motherboard seems to work in providing power, it is just when this four-pin power cable is connected or when the cpu is fully locked in the socket that the system doesnt boot.

Again I'm really new to this type of issues and I have no idea how to solve it. I'm in a situation that I can not afford to buy new cpu or motherboard, so I'm seeking help here maybe some user had a similar problem. I havent touch my bios since last year when I first got the system all together, and everything was working well to say is one of those warm-cool bios related threads i read here.

Newegg already exchange my 2 hitachi drives that failed to boot (lots of clicking) two weeks ago and I have messaged them about this new problem, but havent received any help regarding exchanging the board or cpu.

Any help appreciated, and if you need to have more info, I'm more than happy to explain my problem the best I can.

Check the recomended power supply list your now drawing much more power and may have exceeded the limits of your power supply http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread...+power+supplies Try a dofferent power supply if you can I don't see yours on the list and I'm sure it is the culprit.Pease go to your usercp and list your location as well as a full system spec sig. Welcome to the street. fabe

Regarding the Clear CMOS recommendation, well I did, and I even try leaving it for an hour, less and even longer without success, one thing though, at one point with all these trials, I found that the hard drive was about to spin off as when the system is about to boot up, but then the power went off. All the leds are red and dont change, the power goes off before any start up activity. So I am hoping the reason is the Power supply, I guess adding the big 120mm Zalman 7700 cpu heatsink might have been the reason for my PSU to die on me. At least I hope as it will same more money in replacing it.

Now regarding the psu not being from the list, to be honest with you, up until today i had this system running really well for almost a year. I had the computer on most of the time and had no issues. I had 4 hard drives, a video card, a tv tuner, a wireless nic card, and the two cd-rom/dvd drives running with the stock cpu and gpu heatsinks. The problem arouse just about when I decided to change the heatsink and gpu heatsink. Also before I had 3 regular fans and one 120mm fan on the back of my case. So the PSU was capable to provide enough power. But then again, I have no idea if it is indeed not enough for my system with the new additions. I had problems before with the system freezing up or giving those blue screens of death in windows, but then my two hitachi drives started going mad clicking and I had to replace them.

I will try getting a new psu and hopefully the problem will be solve.

Any other help here would always be appreciated.

By the way, there is no overcloacking involved in this system, other than the flashed bios a year ago and since then decided not to push the system due to the lack of good cooling.

You've obviously tried booting the motherboard out of the case on a desk with just cpu, video card and 1 stick of ram?

If that doesn't work then you have to replace with known-good components to find out which component is broken. Whenever you open the case to add hard drives or cards you run the risk of something breaking via static or just plain Murphy's Law. Were you wearing an anti-static wrist-strap?

Damage to the PSU can also cause damage to other components so it may be more than one component that is a problem.

Also make sure all 4 power plugs are plugged in. Having the one power plug not plugged in does make the system look a bit better because it doesn't power off, but it doesn't mean anything.

Good luck!

I borrowed a psu from a friend who has pretty much the same system as I do, it is an enermax 535W psu and it was working well on his. So I tested my system and nothing happened. It trys to boot, but 2 seconds after all power activity goes off. I have follow the Clear cmos where you can clear it for 15min, 30min, 8hours, 24hours, (just now was 24hours) and nothing works. After that I went to bestbuy and bought one of those Antec 2.0 power supplies, I got the expensive one with more wattage power just in case and same results. So the PSU should not be the problem. I have already message newegg and they advice me to try to get more help with the manufacturer of the motherboard before filing for a RMA#, but after all these troubles and the needs I have to have the computer back on I guess I will file the RMA for the motherboard, hoping that is my problem, unless any here would suggest me a better idea.

All these were retail hardware so they are under warranty.