Computer wont boot.. Strange power problem

Guest Berrern_merged

Guest Berrern

Hi guys!

Haven't posted in some months, my board has been running perfectly!

However, lately, I've been having some problems. When I hit the Power button on the computer, nothing happens, it just sits there dead for like 15-30 seconds. Then, suddenly, it starts - as I had just hit the power button.

This hasn't been a major problem, so I haven't done anything about it (apart from checking PSU connections on the motherboard).

Now. today, when I tried booting, I hit the button, but nothing happened. Nothing at all, it's just completely dead! I've also tried the power-button on the mobo, without results.

Does anyone know what the problem could be? Why it's not working? My PSU is only 2 months old!

I hope someone can help, this is very frustrating!

EDIT:

Just as I submitted this post, the computer booted! It's been at least 5 minutes since I hit the power button, so this is very weird.. Hope anyone has any suggestions as to what can be wrong!

Most users on this forum are a bit sceptic about ThermalTake PSU's for good reasons. However, do you have the possibility to borrow another PSU, just to see if the rest of the system is alright?

Is any led shining? Like the orange one which indicates that power is on?

Guest Berrern

Thanks for the suggestions!

Yes, the orange "Standby power" LED is alight. All the other four LEDs are dead.

It's not easy for me to borrow a PSU.. We have some here at work, but they're in DELL computers and I think their rating is only 350W, not enough for my system!?

If I manage to borrow one, and everything works fine with it, is this a reason to be allowed an RMA of the TT PSU? I did quite a bit of research before buying this PSU, and I only read good things in reviews... Bad luck I guess :(

When looking for a PSU;

first I try to find a calculator that has a reasonable expectation of making a determination of the max wattage I will need for my application.

I alway divide the wattage requirement by .7 so that I will be operating in the highest efficiency area of the PSU. a note some PSU's are rated in their 70% zone but these are mostly of the industrial and expensive types including PC Power & Cooling.

Looking through the reccomended PSU's you will find that they have a large number of "Avoid these PSU's" and a few reccomendations that are inexpensive and very good.

Next, read the reviews at NewEgg and ZZZ but remember that NewEgg and ZZZ edit them for content and if they are rants, they delete them. Rants are when someone has been burnt on a purchase and are very mad and emotional.

That being said, here are a few well maintained forum postings that will help you find

what you need, Don't save a penny and ruin your Build experience.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1045259

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=458204

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10854

http://xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=56231

Thanks for the suggestions!

Yes, the orange "Standby power" LED is alight. All the other four LEDs are dead.

It's not easy for me to borrow a PSU.. We have some here at work, but they're in DELL computers and I think their rating is only 350W, not enough for my system!?

If I manage to borrow one, and everything works fine with it, is this a reason to be allowed an RMA of the TT PSU? I did quite a bit of research before buying this PSU, and I only read good things in reviews... Bad luck I guess :(

Worst-case, you can take it to a computer store and I am sure that they will let you test for a small fee.

How is it when you only use the following,

1 gfx card

Motherboard

CPU

Power supply

Memory = only 2 sticks in the orange slots.

Everything else disconnected/removed.

Guest Berrern
How is it when you only use the following,

1 gfx card

Motherboard

CPU

Power supply

Memory = only 2 sticks in the orange slots.

Everything else disconnected/removed.

I don't know.. I can try this tomorrow morning!

The thing is... I haven't done any hardware changes for months, so it's strange that this is happening now!

Either way, I'll give it a shot tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

Thanks for the replies everyone! :)

Funnily enough i had the exact same problem on my old NF4 SLI-D, it would boot up all by itself but get stuck on either 3 or 4 debug LED's. I came home from work once and found it like this, it must have been running for hours which scared the crap outa me as id left my water cooling system off. No damage luckily enough. My board died shortly afterwards though, became really unstable, often reporting 3 or 4 debug leds, which meant i had to clear CMOS to sort out - and even that didnt work every time. Clearing CMOS almost every time i start the PC became a pain the arse, so i got an Expert board! Which died on me yesturday and is being RMAed.......