Monitor Turning Green

wingspar

Today my monitor started turning green for a second or two, then back to normal. I’ve seen it stay green for several seconds. Sometimes it blinks back and forth for a while. Sometimes, it is stable (normal) for several minutes before it goes thru the green screens again. Has anyone ever seen this kind of behavior from a monitor? I’ve probably used dozens of monitors over the last 18 or so years, and have never seen this kind of behavior before.

The monitor is a LaCie 19" electron Blue IV exactly one year old this month. It is calibrated with a Monaco Optix.

Guest Kobalt

I have seen that. If a CRT monitor, then it means either the cable is loose, or the monitor is about to die or lose a gun.

Was really weird when the gun went out.

If LCD... well, never seen it on a LCD, but I assume it is either cable loose, or the monitor is about to die.

Guest Kobalt

You have too much faith in how well they build those things now-a-days.

What about the vid card connection, is that tight, and is the card itself in tight?

I guess, it could also be that. I have also seen some over heated vid cards do strange things.

Kobalt is right on the money.

Either video card, cables or monitor it's self.

Even if the connection is tight, it could be from the cables because maybe they have been bent up to much from time to time.

Or the connector, even if tight..., could have bent pins or missing pins.

A bad ground in the cable/connector cuases this too.

The video card, many things...

Could be on the very output of the card.

Or within the middle of it, memory and core wise.

Get a cheapy monitor, even if it's the crappiest thing in the world, and hook it up.

Test it out for a while.

On that same card.

If the probs happen agian but on a diff monitor, it's probably a safe bet it's the card.

If it's the card, try using the a convertor to use vga off the dvi out if possible...

It'll look better anyways that way, and you'll beable to bypass some potential problematic parts if they lie within that area of the card.

Monitors die fast mostly because of bad power going to them.

Unless you maybe adjusted it to the extreme and up'ed the gains and bais'es to much.

Otherwise it should of been fine, and the culprit just might be the power you're getting in your home, bad wiring or just bad power in general coming into your house.

So take it one step at a time, figuering out where the prob is.

Edit:

It is calibrated with a Monaco Optix.

What does this mean??? (I mean that, what does it do exactly?)

It may of been responsible...

If it was..., your monitor is truly allmost dead.

Well, this isn’t a cheap monitor. It was a favorite among pro photographers at the time, and was the reason I bought it. I’ve never had a monitor go bad. I had a Dell turn dark and sort of green, but that was after 5 years of use. This thing is only one year old. The monitor is a LaCie, and the computer is a Dell, soon to be replaced by my new build, but I had intended on continuing to use the LaCie monitor.

This morning before turning the computer on, I re-seated the video card, and re-connected the cable. Till this morning, I’ve never laid a finger on the video card, tho it did seem loose. I’ve never touched the cable since I hooked the monitor up last year. It made no difference. In fact, it’s dark and green all the time now.

What does this mean??? (I mean that, what does it do exactly?)

A Monaco Optix is a color calibration instrument. It calibrates the colors on monitors to be exact so that your prints match what you see on your monitor. Most photographers who sell prints keep their monitors calibrated. It would have nothing to do with this problem.

The tried and true method for determining whether or not it’s a loose connection is to wiggle the cable while it’s in operation. If it flickers or gets better or worse, you’ve got your finger on the problem, if it seems to have no effect, it’s prolly not the cable or the connection.

What’s the warranty on those expensive CRTs? Is there a LaCie service agent near you?

A Monaco Optix is a color calibration instrument. It calibrates the colors on monitors to be exact so that your prints match what you see on your monitor. Most photographers who sell prints keep their monitors calibrated. It would have nothing to do with this problem.

Bs it would'nt.

You cannot adjust by looking at graphs alone.

Guest Lord Sauron
Bs it would'nt.

You really need to research things before you say "BS it wouldnt"

http://www.computer-darkroom.com/optix/optix_1.htm

I dont see how that could even remotely damage a monitor to the point of it displaying green. Unless you can come up with some kind of mythical response thats not helpful at all. all its doing is adjusting the ICC which you can do yourself. This thing just helps you get it right and does nothing else to the monitor that you cant do normally within windows. Hell even Photoshop installs a similar bit of software.

Try a different cable if its not hard wired into the monitor.

Besides LaCie have a three year warrenty on thier monitors, I would get into contact with them after you have tried everything else.

Bs it would'nt.

I agree with Lord Sauron. You need to research what you are talking about, as it’s obvious you haven’t any idea what you are talking about. Graphs? Did you look at the link in my post? It’s a $270 calibration instrument.