[ULTRA-D] SATA 2 HDD brought me problems!!!

It might be a BIOS issue of some kind. If the drive works OK on another mobo, then it seems it is a BIOS issue.

You did try all 4 SATA ports right?

Oh, and I said the power adapter wouldn't play a role. IE, they are fine.

Hehehe... LOL... sorry... hope you understand... I'm brazilian, speak portuguese and almost never use english knowledge to write.... :)

On the question, the answer is no... tried ports 1 and 2.... same result... don't remember perfectly... well, in fact now I'm only trying to understand the issue... it isn't driving me crazy anymore, despite the fact that it's a bit uncomfortable when it happens.

Thx for your help.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In all the posts about this problem, I haven't heard any suggestions to check the cables. I've seen on multiple occasions where the drive power, especially molex style, connectors aren't ideal. Wiggling or reseating or using a different drive power strand from the PSU can help you rule out this issue.

For example, I have a setup here that at least from the PSU and drive standpoint hasn't changed in 2 yrs. I recently changed the mobo and I noticed two of my SATA drives were intermittently not coming up OR the system would mysteriously reboot. I traced it down to one molex plug on the PSU strand supplying power via a splitter to those drives. I've now labeled that one as flaky and am using another. System has been 100% since.

Just a thought.

The nVidia IDE driver can also cause some issues with drive detection at bootup so if you have it installed remove it through Add/Remove Programs in Windows(remove only the IDE driver, not the whole nV driver package)

In all the posts about this problem, I haven't heard any suggestions to check the cables.

Good catch!

Sometimes we miss the obvious because we think of things that we do in troubleshooting. Power and data cable are the first things I check and the OP was way beyond that point so I made an assumption.

In all the posts about this problem, I haven't heard any suggestions to check the cables. I've seen on multiple occasions where the drive power, especially molex style, connectors aren't ideal. Wiggling or reseating or using a different drive power strand from the PSU can help you rule out this issue.

For example, I have a setup here that at least from the PSU and drive standpoint hasn't changed in 2 yrs. I recently changed the mobo and I noticed two of my SATA drives were intermittently not coming up OR the system would mysteriously reboot. I traced it down to one molex plug on the PSU strand supplying power via a splitter to those drives. I've now labeled that one as flaky and am using another. System has been 100% since.

Just a thought.

I just don't think the molex is the cause. The cable is feeding one 120mm fan and the HDD. I suppose it isn't overloading that cable. There are no reboots, freezes or something else. The problem happens randomly and, as when the system goes it works fine, I can't believe it's a power issue.

The fact is that I'm not the only one facing that kind of issue and, sincerely, it isn't possible that everyone is overloading the cable or something similiar to it. I've noticed, since I bought that mobo, that it is a bit tricky, being necessary, sometimes, to dedicate lots of time to make it work properly. Boot issues, memory checking, cpu checking, I have faced all sorts of "bugs" here... and so, where is the problem? I wonder if all other parts are faulty and only the mobo is working great? Considering that, the opposite conclusion is the one that I can take from the experience.

The nVidia IDE driver can also cause some issues with drive detection at bootup so if you have it installed remove it through Add/Remove Programs in Windows(remove only the IDE driver, not the whole nV driver package)

Gonna do that, but I can't understand how drivers could affect boot taking into account SO isn't loaded at all.

Gonna do that, but I can't understand how drivers could affect boot taking into account SO isn't loaded at all.

I never quite understood that either but removing them did the trick for my system and a few others. It is very weird indeed

I never quite understood that either but removing them did the trick for my system and a few others. It is very weird indeed

And that way the issue hasn't happened anymore in your system? Towards power cable, do you have a Sata cable going directly from your psu attached to the drive?

Strange.....the drives must be detected by the bios for windows to load. Might be something within windows that's not acting right. Try removing and reinstalling Nvidia drivers with and without nv sw drivers and see what works best?

Strange.....the drives must be detected by the bios for windows to load. Might be something within windows that's not acting right. Try removing and reinstalling Nvidia drivers with and without nv sw drivers and see what works best?

Have re-installed the OS several times... no result.