[ULTRA-D] SATA 2 HDD brought me problems!!!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In all the posts about this problem, I haven't heard any suggestions to check the cables. I've seen on multiple occasions where the drive power, especially molex style, connectors aren't ideal. Wiggling or reseating or using a different drive power strand from the PSU can help you rule out this issue.

For example, I have a setup here that at least from the PSU and drive standpoint hasn't changed in 2 yrs. I recently changed the mobo and I noticed two of my SATA drives were intermittently not coming up OR the system would mysteriously reboot. I traced it down to one molex plug on the PSU strand supplying power via a splitter to those drives. I've now labeled that one as flaky and am using another. System has been 100% since.

Just a thought.

I already said I switched cables out, and even tried different power cables. The issue is with the motherboard.

I doubt its the nvidia IDE drivers because I didn't install the nvidia IDE drivers and my hard drives still aren't detected.

I already said I switched cables out, and even tried different power cables. The issue is with the motherboard.

I doubt its the nvidia IDE drivers because I didn't install the nvidia IDE drivers and my hard drives still aren't detected.

I do have the same opinion.

But did you try the Long Clear CMOS as suggested?

Not yet... had a BSOD a few moments ago. I was running with the OC that I tested with prime when I had an IDE drive and playing PES 5... suddenly, blue screen... don't know how to view the system log... if somebody could help me.

my asrock did the same thing havent checked it out fully,waiting on new sata cable.

but when it did happen the sata drive was disabled in the bios though i had enabled it

obviously since it was working,then wasnt.it somehow disabled itself while in windows

the mouse started to lag then when rebooted went automatically to the ide drive.checked

the bios sure enough disabled.that sata is connected directly to psu sata power.put the drive in nf2 and was able to access it perfectly.let you know what turns up.

also heard about issue with xp messing with the registry when using ide and sata at the same time.which was the case with me,though i heard

it was when you had 2 ide drives and 1 sata,my nf4 ultra d has no issues with sata at all.

my asrock did the same thing havent checked it out fully,waiting on new sata cable.

but when it did happen the sata drive was disabled in the bios though i had enabled it

obviously since it was working,then wasnt.it somehow disabled itself while in windows

the mouse started to lag then when rebooted went automatically to the ide drive.checked

the bios sure enough disabled.that sata is connected directly to psu sata power.put the drive in nf2 and was able to access it perfectly.let you know what turns up.

also heard about issue with xp messing with the registry when using ide and sata at the same time.which was the case with me,though i heard

it was when you had 2 ide drives and 1 sata,my nf4 ultra d has no issues with sata at all.

So, do you believe that the 30 minutes I had 1 Sata, 1 IDE HDD and 1 IDE DVD-RW, just to transfer data, can have made something work wrong here? I have re-installed the OS several times... but, considering the boot issues, I've dismissed the OS problem. Now, I'm using only 1 Sata, port 1, and 1 IDE, also port 1. Drive is connected, now, directly to PSU.

I must confess that I can't understand what is the point of all that stuff... :confused:

The rig is exactly the same, except for the new HDD, which is plugged to the SATA Port #1 and is fed through its Sata power connector. I'm using an adapter to convert the 4-pin molex into sata power plug. The DVD drive is connected to the IDE 1.

SATA drives don't require an additional power plug, if I am reading your post correctly. They are powered by the SATA cable. This may be your problem.

SATA drives don't require an additional power plug, if I am reading your post correctly. They are powered by the SATA cable. This may be your problem.

No, you're making a mistake... previously the 4-pin molex was attached to it... later, I've plugged the 4-pin/sata adapter to use the hdd sata power plug... now, using sata power plug directly from PSU... all the time there was only one single power plug attached to the drive.

No, you're making a mistake... previously the 4-pin molex was attached to it... later, I've plugged the 4-pin/sata adapter to use the hdd sata power plug... now, using sata power plug directly from PSU... all the time there was only one single power plug attached to the drive.

Gotcha! Just checking.