RAM slot corrosion?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

I have recently gotten a second set of the 2gig G Skill HZs to make 4 gigs total. :eek: Since then I have been getting "to desktop" crashes in Oblivion. I decided to run a few memtest to see what the problem is. Well as I am running these I happened to look into my RAM slots and I have found whaat looks like corrosion in the orange slot closest to the CPU... :confused: directly on the contacts. I am hoping this is what is causing my crashes and the odd memteset errors I am getting. So... how do I rid my board of this?

Hey... what's wrong with my sig? :confused: It should be 640x298 which is less than 650x300... :(

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if it was a picture, then pics are 650X200, not 300, the extra 100 is for text only...

as for corrosion... ah, thats freaking weird, are you watercooling/live right next to the sea or something? ever spilled some water therE?

Bah, I fix it, the sig at least... I live in Florida, but not close to the sea. Yes I water cool, but I cannot think of any major leaks... I killed a video card with a leak, but did not get any liquid near the RAM. I hate to say I don't really care how it got there, I want to figure a way to get rid of it... It porbably got there from a dumb mistake of mine, I prefer not to dwell or even notice my mistakes. I try to fix them before anyone sees. :rolleyes: Although I would post a picture of this if I could get a good one. :D

hh, your right, focus on the answer, but i cant help ya there :P im only good at making people sob over their mistakes. ah, misrable being which is me :P

kidding, cant really help ya there mate, i hope someone else will, luck

If you don't want to RMA the board, I'd try a wad of paper soaked in alcohol or contact cleaner. By wad, I'm thinking a pad of postits that is about the thickness of the memory or maybe the back of a tablet that's the same thickness. Then, just move it around making sure that it doesn't shred.

You may want to search for check out ProGold (now called DeoxIT Gold, I notice). http://store.caig.com/s.nl It is a contact resistance reducer. In the same area of whatever electronics site (Amazon, Newark, etc,) you find it, there will be contact cleaners also. I find ProGold to be a checkbook saver on contacts on the older Audis I drive and have driven. This stuff is not inexpensive, but a tiny bottle will last your lifetime.

kirby

Guest caffeinejunkie

I know you already tried alcohol but try the alcohol w/ an old toothbrush. I just had to replace all the outdoor lights at my house and like half of them were corroded enough so the baulb wouldnt even come out but once I got it out and gave it a good cleaning w/ some alcohol and a toohbrush it looked good as new and worked good as new

I know you already tried alcohol but try the alcohol w/ an old toothbrush. I just had to replace all the outdoor lights at my house and like half of them were corroded enough so the baulb wouldnt even come out but once I got it out and gave it a good cleaning w/ some alcohol and a toohbrush it looked good as new and worked good as new
Thats what I would try.. ^^

allthatwhichis.. IF there is visibly corrosion in the slot then it wouldnt be right to RMA it because it must have been from some water leak in your system.. If you were to RMA it they would probably send it back unfixed due to H20 damage so trying to RMA it would be wasting your time and DFI's time..

If your ram and cpu is overclocked you may need to turn them down a little using all 4 slots instead of just 2. Maybe relax on the ram timings a little. I know you said there is corrosion but this may help. I have also experienced crashes on oblivion. Check the forum for elder scrolls oblivion hardware and you'll find many people experiencing problems. There has been a patch recently released for this game to help with the crashes and some .ini file tweaks to help with ram usage. I've reinstalled the game twice in the 66 hours I've been playing it and the reinstall fixed the crash problem both times......for a while.

Thats what I would try.. ^^

allthatwhichis.. IF there is visibly corrosion in the slot then it wouldnt be right to RMA it because it must have been from some water leak in your system.. If you were to RMA it they would probably send it back unfixed due to H20 damage so trying to RMA it would be wasting your time and DFI's time..

That's what I figured. It may not be from a leak but there is no way to tell since I do water cool and have had a leak or 2... :rolleyes: It is only on 8 to 10 contacts, and my crashes only seem to happen after an hour or so of playing, or errors while memtesting. It is also fairly thin, I could get some off with a fingernail. When I get off tomorrow morning I will try a lil alchky.

Thanks ya'll!