Help with cutting fan holes

Why don't you want to replace the heatsink on your video card with a fan? Warranty? If you give us the model we could probably recommend something. Also, for the chipset, you could use an Evercool VC-RE from svc.com. Those two items would probably do more for cooling then just a single 120mm fan, though I still think the fan is a good idea.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

see, for me, i always prefer having a good front-back airflow... getting more fans can only means adding the front fans for me... or another in the back, or the top at most....

im not saying they dont work...they DO! its just that......

2 reasons:

1. side panelfans block the view :D i luv my view

2. side panel fan screw up the airflow. it partially pushes the air toward the front, and so blocking some airflow from the front into the mid-section. this cause noise and heat problem in a well-airflowed case.

Not to knock your opinion, but I only have 1 80mm exhaust in the back and obviously the 120mm PSU fan. There is 1 80mm intake in the fromt and 2 80mm and 1 120mm fan in the side panel. In all actuality a PC case is way to small to create much of an linear airflow, as so much desired; after all it's a PC case not a wind tunnel. The greates effect on heat dissipation would be felt from air turbulence, rather than trying to direct the flow of the hot air inside the PC case.

I do miss the view though.

Red if that is the case, then my temps would have got higher not lower (about 5c across the board) or at the least did nothing!!! I think the more fresh air u put into your case, and exhaust more the better your temps. But this is off topic: he wants to know how to cut a hole not other ppl's observations. Because they are like A-holes, everyone's got one...including me:)

I used a Dremel with the heavey duty cutting blades. Someone recommended the router bit, but when I tried that on another case my Dremel seized up :(

First off measure where you want the fan to be and check your clearances, and plan for wire management.

Tape the area off with masking tape to prevent gouges and scratches.

Drill one screw hole, attach the fan, marked the other 3 screw holes and screw the fan on with an additional screw (so it won't move).

Then trace out the inner circular perimeter of the fan. Remove the fan then slowly cut from the inside of the perimeter and follow the circle like the hand of a clock.

Let the Dremel do the work and don't force it. Use some sandpaper or a file to burr the edges nice and clean.

Attach your fan and grill, secure the wire along the edge of the door with some tape (being carefull to look for possible pinch points and you're good to go.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I think I finally have the cutting down well, I have been practicing for a good portion of today (I know, its sad). But I think I am going to try just doing an 80mm in the bottom left corner for now, because the 120mm one would just block too much of the case, and would be very close to being right up against the Zalman CPU heatsink. If I had a bit bigger of a window, I would definitely do the 120mm. I am planning on undervolting the fan to 7v, which should keep it near silent, yet should pull at least a little cool air over the vid card and board (I hope). I will post back later today how it affected the temperatures, if any, and add a few pictures of the final result. I have the exact same case on my other computer, so maybe I'll try a 120mm in that one if this doesn't work to my liking.

You can always do a 120mm fan mod over an old 80mm mod, just use one of the screw holes from the old mod and position the new fan over it and follow the steps I mentioned earlier. Or do it your own way, which ever you prefer.

Seems like you've already decided on the method, but anyways I always use hole saw drill bits. Unless you have a good sharp blade on your dremel/rotozip and a good circle cutting jig, you won't get as round as a hole saw. Pricey though, especially for the 120mm size.

A clean easy way is to make 2 big "Xs" so that you've got a 120mm, 8-pointed star, cut like a pizza sort of. Then, cut the little pizza slices back out until they're able to be grinded down the rest of the way. Plexiglass will really do some wierd stuff with a high speed tool, so eitehr use teh doorknob drilling tool thing, or just cut in straight lines then grind teh rest down.

That's the way I've done it, both on steel and Plexi, and it always came out looking alright, and anything will work great.