Cpu Fan And A Fan Bus

red930

If this has been asked and answered, my apologies, but I really did try looking through the archives.

I just recently bought a fan bus. Turns out it only has 3 pin power connectors on the back for the fans. I have a 80mm Tornado CPU fan and it uses a 4 pin connector that hooks right up to the power supply. My question is this: is there a way to hook up the 4 pin cable to the 3 pin connector? I've tried googling for adapters, but all I can find seems to be going from a 3 pin to a 4 pin. Is this even possible? Or will any adapter result in overloading, fires, and a lot of crying on my part? Thanks.

I looked and they have plenty of 3 to 4 pin adapters, but nothing going the other way. It's a Fan Master SF-609. It had decent reviews on both pro sites and forums and no mention of this problem. Considering that there's a fair amount of higher end fans now that are using 4 pin connectors I assumed it would be able to accomedate them. And yes, I know what assuming means.

If your fan dont have RPM monitoring all you need is the + 12v which is the yellow on your power plug 4 pins and a black ground to go into your + and - of your fan bus cut and weld those on a 3 pin (male or female ,depending on your fan bus) and leave the other which is your RPM monitor empty

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the help. The only other question I have is this won't put a straight on the fan controller or PSU, will it? A short out or overload on the cpu fan would be a really bad thing and I don't trust the motherboard to kill the computer in time to save it.