Worldcup 2006 (merged)

Sorrento

... it's too early to decide what Materazzi said. There has already been so much rumors going on; everything from what you stated, Sorrento, to accusations of using performance enhancing drugs.

Whatever Materazzi said, you also have to bear in mind that Materazzi himself has for a couple of years being very badly treated. He's a tough player, sometimes too tough, but there's nothing intentional in his action; once he knocked down a player though somewhere on the way up to the field, which gave him a very long ban. Unfortunately he isn't as talented as Cannavaro, he's quite big, lacking some technical skills, hence the only thing that keeps him at the top of football is his temperament, furious hard work and an attitude of sacrificing everything for the team.

Outside the field Materazzi is known as a gentle person, but I doubt it will help him much. Milan has - with good company of others - tried hard in the past to nail him.

Zizou have gone mad before. In his defense it's good to remember that he grow up in the tougher suburbs of Marseille.

What would the game have been without Materazzi? 0 – 0 actually. He was behind both the French and the Italian goal, and was the second in the Italian team to make a penalty kick.

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, but if the video shows he is saying this, that and that too? Bye bye Materazzi... unless someone can prove he was just moving his mouth with out saying what HE was saying :P

The Italian league, specially certain teams, abuse players for their etnicity... has happened before, will happen again. Materazzi is just doing what they do most of the time. I wish I am mistaken, but everybody knows thats how rough the Italians play the game... just ask some of the players from African origin who have played against Milan, Inter de Milan, Juventus...

That’s what I was afraid of: the incident, especially in view of Materazzi being involved, could be used as an easy excuse for bashing the Italian team. The Italian team has been called the most hated of all teams.

Luckily for us the players don’t have microphones like the referees, because that would embarrass most of us, at least if we got to hear it. In a sense I don’t think what Materazzi said differs a lot from what is frequently expressed on a football field; may it be in Mexico, Italy, France, England, Sweden or somewhere else.

Does that mean that I justify it? No, but this incident has been exaggerated out of sensible proportions, simply because it was a final and involved a sad sortie of one of the brightest icons in football history, who confronted a player famous for being labeled a “bad guy“.

But can't think when such alleged abuse/incitement can be justified in any match.

this is how I feel in hockey...nothing someone says to you should incite you to physical violence in retaliation.

You should retaliate by helping your team to win

you guys remember Michael Jordan from the NBA?

this guy was soooo good, that EVERYONE he ever played against, including some of his best friends in the league on opposing teams, did everything they could think of to goad him into retaliation....but he never did that I can recall...he always just helped his team whip them which was the best retaliation

I hear guys like Anson Carter, one of the few blacks in the NHL, talk about how he is always being talked to, and you can imagine that he means they are always calling him the N word...and he never lets it bother him. He just checks them hard and tries to win against them.

He doesn't Bertuzzi them

there's a big difference in maturity levels between someone who just uses it to try even harder to win, and those who retaliate in stupid ways.

I honestly feel that there's nothing that anyone could have said to Zidane that should have caused that kind of retaliation. You got to be more mature than that. I know it is tough to lose the World Cup, World Series, NBA/NHL/NFL championship...but there's no cause for that kind of stupid retaliation.

All it does is make you look bad/stupid/immature.

interesting happy hadn't heard of the stick Michael Jordan or Anson Carter took. My point isn't really about the retaliation, yes jordan & Carter showed maturity & stoicism, yes Zidane by retaliating failed.

My point is that the incitement be it racial or whatever stinks & shouldn't be part of sport. hell yes tempers get raised in footy & hockey after a foul or something but your issue is with the opposing player. - not with his race or family.

My point is that the incitement be it racial or whatever stinks & shouldn't be part of sport. hell yes tempers get raised in footy & hockey after a foul or something but your issue is with the opposing player. - not with his race or family.

while this is true in our hearts that we believe no one should resort to this, when playing a sport that involves money (pro sports) or national pride, you have to realize that the opposition will do ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING to get into your head, get under your skin, etc.

this is reality

you MUST know this

you HAVE to KNOW this

this is just how it is

so you have to know that some will resort to the lowest of lows to take you off your game to win against you. You know that as a black person, anyone that is not black will be tempted to use racial slurs against you. Well, any race other than whites will have it used against them. This is just how it is. You and I and everyone else will frown upon the practice, but it won't change the fact that it will happen.

Not just race either...someone will say something about your momma...your sister...your wife...someone will know some dirt about you and use it against you...and you let them win by getting bent about it and retaliating.

The ONLY way to win...is to not let it bother you, and to kick their butt in the game and show you are the better man...not resort to their level of unprofessionalism and retaliate in kind.

while this is true in our hearts that we believe no one should resort to this, when playing a sport that involves money (pro sports) or national pride, you have to realize that the opposition will do ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING to get into your head, get under your skin, etc.

Now that is the knub of the issue.:D

So we tell the kids that you don't call anybody nasty names obout their color, looks, creed or family, unless you grow up to be a pro sportsman then it's ok.:D

Guess CCCP credo isn't dead old Karl Marks rules = The ends justifies the means:D

hbahaha

well I said we don't agree with it, but unless you were born in a deep hole in the ground, you know this is just the honest truth

while 90% of us as parents will hopefully teach our children to refrain from such practices, its that 10% of parents who teach their kids that anything and everything is acceptable in order to win =(

while 90% of us as parents will hopefully teach our children to refrain from such practices, its that 10% of parents who teach their kids that anything and everything is acceptable in order to win =(

With a bit of luck the 10% of kids

that anything and everything is acceptable in order to win
will meet some kid who snaps like zidane & kicks it out of them to show it ain't smart ;) :cool:

Good point AG... however one guy is Micheal Jordan, something else is Zinedine Zidane: worldwide bigger I think.

I am sure ZZ was abused thru all his career in Italy and Spain, he was #1 and he should have suffered greatly... but more or less he survived all that was thrown at him; with the Islam religion, and parents being original from Algeria I can only imagine how bad things were. However this last game being the WC final, his final game with France, and his last ever professional game... I believe the pressure was 100X greater than in any previous games.

Knowing this Materazzi took advantage of the situation, and now I am not sure if he was the only one saying bad things about ZZ's family. Over here the newspaper published Materazzi's response saying "Yes, I insulted him... but that was after he acted arrogantly. He was refering how he comited two fouls to ZZ, pulling the shirt, and how ZZ laughed at him; laughed meant he was arrogant? arrogant was all Materazzi needed to react in such vulgar way??? If that was arrogant I am Mickey Mouse, and if being arrogant deserves such vulgar insults then by all means someone kille me right now cause this world is all wrong :mad:

Well aparently the world is all wrong... just a quick look at the international news makes me wonder what tha hell am I doing here, specially if everyone wants to destroy it. But back to the bad behavior of these two, I can only say ZZ made a mistake... but I understand him completely: if I was him, believe me I would have kicked Materazzi until my feet bled :mad: