To the Addicts out there (Yes Thunda, I am looking at you)

Gorgias-Flux

I have been out of the game for awhile, but it is getting be that time where I would like to build a new toaster. My old trusty venny has served me well, but it is high time I upgraded.

So...

A few questions for you guys:

Are the Sandies still the way to go, or is the Opty a superior processor? (I am guessing this will have multiple answers, but I would like to hear them anyways.)

I am currently running the OCZ Rev Plat 2 TCCD sticks, these are great RAM, but they crapped out on me after 6 months and I had to scale back my OC. What would you reccomend in terms of both performance and ability to maintain that performance (i.e longevity) over my currect RAM?

Now hopefully I can get the wife to approve a budget that will let me have some fun...

I have been out of the game for awhile, but it is getting be that time where I would like to build a new toaster. My old trusty venny has served me well, but it is high time I upgraded.

So...

A few questions for you guys:

Are the Sandies still the way to go, or is the Opty a superior processor? (I am guessing this will have multiple answers, but I would like to hear them anyways.)

I am currently running the OCZ Rev Plat 2 TCCD sticks, these are great RAM, but they crapped out on me after 6 months and I had to scale back my OC. What would you reccomend in terms of both performance and ability to maintain that performance (i.e longevity) over my currect RAM?

Now hopefully I can get the wife to approve a budget that will let me have some fun...

I'll tell you what man, I was initially leaning towards getting a 3700 sandy, but did some heavy research and made many inquiries about these opterons, and I was persuaded in paying the extra money to get an Opteron 165... and I'm never going to look back.

I just received all of my parts yesterday, built my new machine, and was fooling with the BIOS (5/23 beta) all night last night. I was able to pop off 2502MHz (1800MHz stock) without much trouble at all. It's been priming for about 6 hours now at about 46c on stock cooling (fan isnt even running at full speed.

I booted the damn thing up at 2799MHz last night just messing around with it and was playing Hitman: Blood Money for about an hour and a half with no problems at all as well. I'm just in awe at the quality of this chip thus far. I've never had my hands on anything that powerful.

To answer your question though... I would go with an opteron for sure. Even if you don't get a dual core opteron, there's plenty of information about the great single core opteron chips on this forum. I love this 165 though... so far I'm extremely pleased with it. I got the CCB1E 0609 stepping from newegg which is one of the better ones, so I guess I got pretty lucky. Stepping aside though, this thing is awesome. I'd definitely recommend this chip. (Basing this recommendation from about a days worth of messing with it, so take that for what it's worth.)

Might be better to wait it out for a little while. With both AMD and Intel hitting the streets with better products, even if you don't go that route the prices on S939 will drop some, might be the difference between a single or dual core for close to the same money. The difference between your venice at 2600 and an Opty single core at 2800 is hardly noticeble. A nice dual core and 2 gigs of RAM would hold you over for awhile.