HL2: Episode One

Sorrento

Pre-ordered this thing, which since noon today is available to play... and I have to say it is really good :)

I am playing at 1280 x 1024 with everything on High, with FSAA 4x and Aniso 16x and HDR on Full, which is funny because FSAA and HDR don't work together but aparently HDR is working (watching directly to the sun makes you blind), yet disabling FSAA doesn't increase fps but enabling it clearly shows smoother surfaces.

According to Fraps I am getting 50 fps with all the quality on high... a lot less than with HL2 which got me over 90 fps back then.

Well I just wanted to say the game is good and fun, back to the old HL2 ways, and it looks pretty

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Which one is that? Is it the new Expansion pack for HL2? I think ATI has a fix out in order to run games (maybe certain games) HDR + AA both on at the same time. Not sure about AF, but i would think that would be on as well. Have you tried COD2, HDR in that is killer as well. Good Find.... :)

I am pretty impressed by Oblivion, but there FSAA has to be disabled for HDR to work.

With Episode One FSAA is working alright, and I am 99% sure HDR is working as well. Steam has now something to check the video drivers to see if they are up to date, but since I have nVidia cards I doubt both hdr and fsaa are working... but I could be wrong.

If you liked HL2, Episode One is a nice addition... specially for $19.95 :)

when i get home i will be ordering from there web site, I think i will let my son have first crack at it. I am too wrapped up in Silkroad at the moment. More HL2 goodness!!!:)

Beats me dude, HDR is definitely on on mine and AA appears to be enabled...I hardly see any jaggies at all. Plus the game autodetected both AA and HDR to be on...

Wondering if its bugged for x64 yet though, it crashed twice on me so I'm gonna hold off on playing it until I can be sure I can play it all.

Guest caffeinejunkie

I also played it today

far too short to for me (an easy 2hrs straight) but still good

and based on the trailor hl2 e2 will be awesome

yeah just finished playing it. it was a good buy, yet i do agree it was short. my HDR is on and my AA is too, no problems here with crashing or anything. what i really like is that they made your "personal space" a little bigger in E1, so you dont bump into dumb AI every second you turn around to hide in a big fight. it kind of sucks though, that they are making it in short 5 chapter games, yet still want 20$ for each of em. i'd say pay about 50$ and give us all of the upcoming seasons.

for some of you who wanna preview, i took some screenshots of the game. enjoy!

HL2 E1 pic 1

HL2 E1 pic 2

HL2 E1 pic 3

HL2 E1 pic 4

Guest caffeinejunkie

I thought that they were going to go e1 e2 e3 then hl3 and then continue with episodes

I also played it today

far too short to for me (an easy 2hrs straight) but still good

and based on the trailor hl2 e2 will be awesome

HAHA, I played for 2 and a half hours straight, and all I did was exit the damn citadel :sweat:

I am using the medium dificult setting... not sure if that has something to do with how slow I am going, or because I might be slow :tooth: ; slow or actually enjoying the ride.

Btw, Alyx needs to aim better... :rolleyes:

I thought that they were going to go e1 e2 e3 then hl3 and then continue with episodes

Hmm, maybe this Episode One will be followed by Episode Two... and maybe Three... and then HL3 will focus on beating the Combine on their planet, thus freeing those weird looking alien slaves; btw, what tha hell happened at first with the G Man???

Guest caffeinejunkie

I always play easy first

but with in the next few days ill play on medium and then hard

it does make a difference but you really only see it on hard

the enemies get so aggressive and on the lower settings the game semi auto aims for you but on hard it's all you

so kiss goodbye to the ol revolver 1 shot headshots

also I think theres less ammo and health to be found on hard