PSU for nF4 SLI-DR Expert

newdfiguy

Hi! i just got this board LANPARTY UT nF4 SLI-DR Expert. i'm just wondering about the 8pin 12V atx connection. I intend to oc my 3800 to 2.6Ghz or more. i've read that it's best to get a psu with an 8 pin 12Vatx connector to ensure stability for overclocking and SLi systems.

I'm eyeing the antec NEO HE 550W. just wanna know if it's cut out for the job? I wanted to get the OCZ powerstream 520W Sli-ready PSU but its not readily available locally

The antec spec reads ATX12V/EPS12V Compatible 4 + 4 pin +12V. now i've read around the forums and some say that you shouldn't plug in 2 seperate 4pin connectors due to the grounding issues. Then again some say that the 8pin is for EPS so any EPS compliant PSU will do...

I'm getting kinda confused from the info posted around this forum. Would appreciate if you all could give me your inputs on this.

PS: pls pardon my english, its not my mother tongue

Guest InFeKtioN

Hello... and welcome to DFI Street !

I personally would stay away from the antec..... The OCZ Powerstream would be worth waiting for. I own one myself and I recommend it highly !

But, ultimately if you stay with the recommended PSU list found here http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10854, you really wont go wrong !

Good Luck !

yeap. i was sure of the OCZ, but alas, the distro said stocks may only come in in a couple of months time. the word is "may"... bleahz.

i've already gone through the list of PSUs. it's kinda outdated to begin with, and of those listed there, only the Enermax 600W is available, and its much more costly than the antec.

Enermax - $329

Antec - $229

haha. yea i noe... i've had my hair-tearing moments.

but the 700W OCZ is out of the question. would probably cost me $600 or more after exchange rates and taxes etc. i probably get a better proc and save on the ocing. haha

The antec spec reads ATX12V/EPS12V Compatible 4 + 4 pin +12V. now i've read around the forums and some say that you shouldn't plug in 2 seperate 4pin connectors due to the grounding issues. Then again some say that the 8pin is for EPS so any EPS compliant PSU will do...

Correct, EPS is what you should look for. The 4 + 4 pin simply makes it compatible with motherboards of ATX standard; just as ATX 24 pin PSU's usually have a 20 + 4 pin main connector. EPS + Expert = good.

If OCZ isn't available locally you could see if you can find FSP (Forton) Epsilon (Forton makes the OCZ GameXStreame which is practically a relabeled Epsilon anyway). These ones seem to be the best option so far.

lemme see if i got what u mean...

so the 4+4 pin is actually the 8pin equivalent, just that they wanted to make it compatible with atx standard board such that instead of having fixed 8 pins, you can just plug in 1 set of 4 pins?