Help for people with 7900GT/GTX Issues

Oui it's been a whiile but...

Download a program called rivatuner from guru3d.

Make sure it's setup to show idle and 2d, 3d speeds, all of that.

Then make sure you're idle is the same speed as 3d.

I think, see?, been a while..

I've seen this prob.

Most newer BIOS'es for those video cards have the fix.

I guess it depends on the company if this prob is still around.

It was either same as 2d or same as 3d, idle that is.

One or the other I forgot.

Also, it could be stock cooling.

Oui it's been a whiile but...

Download a program called rivatuner from guru3d.

Make sure it's setup to show idle and 2d, 3d speeds, all of that.

Then make sure you're idle is the same speed as 3d.

I think, see?, been a while..

I've seen this prob.

Most newer BIOS'es for those video cards have the fix.

I guess it depends on the company if this prob is still around.

It was either same as 2d or same as 3d, idle that is.

One or the other I forgot.

Also, it could be stock cooling.

If I remember rightly, during the "Deep Freeze" non-response, the clock speed (as seen in RivaTuner) drops to 2D speeds and just stays there.

I posted this before but noone read it i guess. From my experiences this problem has to do with the Delta setting in the BIOS or too high of a clock causing a change in a certain parameter in the video card that has to do with memory. first let me explain what the Delta does. The delta is an option that u can place an amout of Mhz increase that will work only in 3d applications so in other words when ur on the desktop lets say u have the evga superclocked which is clocked at 690mhz and u have a Delta setting of 50 which this card happens to have then ur total clock in a game or benchmark is around 740mhz becus its the clock+delta and gives u the total of 740Mhz. You can see this when ur run 3Dmark05 it tells u in the details section where it states ur CPU speed etc. I here and happy to tell u that u may not have to RMA ur card all u have to to is basically reflash to the Original Bios that came with ur card that u can find at http://www.mvktech.net. For some reason this works me and my friend flashed his normal evga 7900gtx to the superclocked bios and ran faster but it happened again after a few hrs of gaming so we reflashed it back to his normal and it has run flawlessy so the important thing here is that its not broken just some paramter got changed for some reason because of the overclock that makes them artifact and freeze like crazy so u can try this and i'm positive it will work. well if u have any questions just PM me.

It seems like everything I have read about w/ the 7900 series problems has mostly blame the OC'd versions of the card. I have had two GTX's 650/1400 factory nvidia stock wig out on me that were never OC'd or reach a temp above 65c.

It seems like everything I have read about w/ the 7900 series problems has mostly blame the OC'd versions of the card. I have had two GTX's 650/1400 factory nvidia stock wig out on me that were never OC'd or reach a temp above 65c.

The overclocked cards are probably just more likely to expose the problem in a noticeable fashion. There are sufficient reports of non-overclocked cards to tell that it's not just overclocking.

The overclocked cards are probably just more likely to expose the problem in a noticeable fashion. There are sufficient reports of non-overclocked cards to tell that it's not just overclocking.

QFT. I've had 4 bad cards, and have stepped down to a 7800GTX KO. The problem is most likely somewhere in the memory subsytem. That's why when you downclock the memory (to even below nvidia spec) the problems go away for a short time. BIOS changes haven't fixed it, otherwise EVGA wouldn't be overnighting RMA cards or replacing defective boards with 7800GTX KOs (thanks EVGA!). EVGA even went to the trouble of taking signature series cards ($$$$) and putting BIOS of cheaper models (GT CO, etc) on the cards. If it were a BIOS fix, they could have save themselves tons of money just emailing/posting it instead of these methods which cost them a ton of money. As of now they're telling people to hold off RMA'ing for now, downclock the boards to get by, because they are getting new boards with different mem chips. EVGA forums have tons of info on it.

• 4 weeks later...
QFT. I've had 4 bad cards, and have stepped down to a 7800GTX KO. The problem is most likely somewhere in the memory subsytem. That's why when you downclock the memory (to even below nvidia spec) the problems go away for a short time. BIOS changes haven't fixed it, otherwise EVGA wouldn't be overnighting RMA cards or replacing defective boards with 7800GTX KOs (thanks EVGA!). EVGA even went to the trouble of taking signature series cards ($$$$) and putting BIOS of cheaper models (GT CO, etc) on the cards. If it were a BIOS fix, they could have save themselves tons of money just emailing/posting it instead of these methods which cost them a ton of money. As of now they're telling people to hold off RMA'ing for now, downclock the boards to get by, because they are getting new boards with different mem chips. EVGA forums have tons of info on it.

ok that sucks. i just finished talking to evga tech support and they said the changes on the new cards are memory changes and not voltage regulators, but they could be just saying that.. anyways.. my fix was to raise my pcie frequency a bit to 120 from 100 and benchmarks pass, artifacts when away, no bsod..

I was thinking about this the other day and said to myself, "If these 7900 series cards weren't stable at the frequencies they came with, they why not bumping the GPU voltage to 1.3v or even 1.4v". I mean that should fix the issue right? Okay, what if your card runs just fine with default (520/1500) clocks, but right when you try to overclock it with CoolBits it would sometimes lockup the machine or flicker every 5-10 seconds until you reboot the machine? I don't think it has anything to do with HEAT. I've used a Zalman VF700Cu on my lil' brothers XFX 7900GT Extreme and the IDLE went from 45c to 35c and the LOAD also dropped (didn't even hit over 60c maybe) and still had problems overclocking. I've looked for the XFX 7900GT Extreme 1.2v bios on that site someone mentioned above with no luck. I want to do the voltmod, but i'm already diagnost with parkinson's (just kidding) no but i shack like a mad man, so how? :)

Note: XFX 7900GT (E) PCIe 256MB - Rev 02 (So this means Revision 1.2? Because i don't see anything about 02 or is it talking about the PCB (n/m i don't know.....)

XFX 7900GT Extreme (520/1500) week 0406 bios 1.2v (revision?)

So i open that particular bios and this is what i see "Name : GeForce 7900 GT T71G-UDFVGA BIOS Version : 5.71.22.12.04"

UDF? Mine is XFX PV-T71G-UDE7? UDF? hehehe.....

Mack27 you try raising your pcie frequency like i suggested? works for me,. gonna post 3dmark screenshots soon..

as promised here are screenshots to backup my claim :D

3dmark01@default settings

http://weboperative.com/gallery/?Qwd=./Mis...iv=thumbs&Qis=M

3dmark03@default settings

3dmark03@1600x1200-max settings

3dmark05@default settings

3dmark05@1600x1200-max settings

3dmark06@default settings

3dmark06@1600x1200-max settings

http://weboperative.com/gallery/qdig-files...6-1600x1200.PNG

p.s my total pcie frequency is 120mhz now..