Help for people with 7900GT/GTX Issues

I've been battling my eVGA 7900GT since I got it out of the box, and finally it looks as though the issue will be resolved. I don't know how many of you have had similar experiences, but they're pretty common from what I understand (stops responding on Deep Freeze section of 3dmark06, random lockups, etc.) but eVGA has been very helpful. They actually request that anyone who has a problem with their 7900 series card contact them directly for RMA (rather than the retailer) and when you give them your isses, such as freezing in Oblivion or 3dmark or whatever, they burn the card in before shipping it and make sure that all of these features work, so you don't RMA it another 50 times. Granted, it would be nice if it had worked out the first time, but at least they're trying. XFX and BFG have been less than helpful from what I've heard. Any other experiences/questions? I'm interested in other manufacturers of the 7900 as well.

Here are the links for eVGA:

http://www.evga.com/7900.asp

- This is where you can submit request and they will call you (usually same business day) to arrange a cross-ship RMA and what features you want them to test before shipping.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?threadid=183831

- That's actually just an interesting thread as a launching point to the issue.

Good night and Good Luck!

Hey shmoe010, are you talking about the nv4_disp - infinite loop in Oblivion?

I have an Xfx 7900 gt and its done that on me twice in Oblivion.

What sort of errors are you getting in 3dMark06? I'm downloading it now, so should be able to test it tou tomorrow.

I've had no problems running mark 03 or 05, but I've heard LOTS of issues with the 7900s (from all manufacturers too, which is weird, or perhaps not...)

Any other tests you can think of too see that its the card that is having the issues (and not some other part of my system, psu, ram etcc..)

Cheers

Same problems here: stop responding/screen corrupt in 3dmark deep freeze

freeze in oblivion occasional texture corruption etc.

Everything stock speeds.

Problem is I have 2 Club3D so I am just ****ed.

-lets watch the language shall we? -technodanvan

Alright guys, here's the scoop:

I've been on the phone with eVGA for the past couple days, and basically it boils down to this. There was a bad batch of 7900GT, GT KO, and GTX cards from eVGA, XFX, and BFG. If you are having issues with an eVGA card, you're in luck. Call this number: 888-880-EVGA 24/7 and they will arrange for a cross-shipped RMA with a card that has been thoroughly tested in 3dmark06, oblivion, and FEAR before shipping. They overnighted mine completely free of charge, and I'm supposed to send mine back to them *after* i get the new one, so no downtime. As far as the other manufacturers go, I can't be 100% sure as to how to go about it, except to say that they are ALL aware of the issue and even if they aren't willing to admit it, they know they screwed up. So don't deal with a card that has even 95% uptime. You spend that kind of money, you deserve the best. Call them up before it's too late!

P.S. my issue wasn't a loop, as an above poster asked, but rather a complete video lockout, where sound continues in the background but alt-tab is useless and mouse cursor stays still at graphic-intensive points in 3dmark06 and FEAR.

Okay so I got my RMA from eVGA... same issues. Thought it was my rig, they told me it wasn't and that I should RMA again. Having previously believed that lightning wouldn't strike twice, I requested a different card. They offered a 7800GTX instead, and I happily accepted. That should be coming in later in the week. I'm done dealing with these damn 7900's. Too much headache!

here you go guys, this fixed my problem. try her out.

This is for the 7900 GTX Superclocked. take a peak at it before putting it in.

after unzipping, rename to .exe - do scan it for virus's so i do.

ah crap, i cant upload a 734kb file?

meh Liquid_y2d AT Hotmail.com

mail me there for the bios update. fixed my problems, for now at least.

• 2 weeks later...

I read an atrical In Toms Hardware sorry i can't find the link but it had to do with Nvidia selling 7900 chips that didn't leave as they put it enough" ceiling room" in the clock speeds and this is what is contributing to all the RMAs especialy the first issue cards from all the manufatureres. I just RMA'd a 7800 gt oc to BFG a card I bought on e-Bay [OK I Know] that arrived DOA and the sticker on the back, [the don't remove this or your screwded one] was half gone and BFG sent me a new card no questions asked it took a total of 7 days, now I still have one at XFX I sent in 2 days before I sent in the BFG so XFX gets the Pfft award from me on RMA. All these companies are aware of this and should honor the RMA proceedure, it's nice to see Evga leading the way with a cross ship deal this is above and beyond compared to XFX, with BFG in second. LOL fabe