game stuttering caused by OC'ing ?

This is really strange. When I first installed BF2, the game was stuttering soooo bad that it was unplayable. I went to BIOS, increased the voltage to 4.75 (was 4.25) which DID fix the stuttering at first, but after a while it began stuttering again.

I now now have CPU control vid at 1.55v and for a long time it's fine but after a long while things really begin to stutter and it's really pi$$ing me off.

I dunno much about OC'ing, but I'm running at 295x9 and 3x multiplier on the other thing and DRAM freq ratio of 150. LDT voltage at 1.3v (i think) and RAM voltage at 2.9v

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this?

could be a number of things. first - your CPU overclock might not get stable no matter what volts you put thru it, it might just be too high. second - your memory might not be stable - have you tried memtesting and checking if your stable?

third, whats your vid card at? overclocked above factory or stock?

have you run 3d05 and 06? if so what scores? try looping them to check your 3d stability.

I'm using the stock OC on the video card. I ran 3dmark06 and got a pretty bad score, but that was whilst messing about with other OC settings so I can't blame it there.

What is this dual core patch? Can you throw me a link please?

you dont really need the dual core patch - its only for cool n quiet which you wont run if your overclocking. if your cards at stock - you need to check the other components - like mem. BF2 is buggy though.

It's not just BF2, it'll happen in CS source as well, really stuttering after a while. I'm gonna run that memtest thing for a while though I dunno how to read it, what do I do?

edit - I just ran memtest for 36 minutes and it cleared the first test with 0 errors, so I'm thinking the RAM is alright.

I think I might try clearing my CMOS.

to do that, I know I have to put that jumper to the other settings and leave it for a few hours (will leave it over night), but do I have to keep the mboard powered at the time of changing the jumper AND whilst I leave it to clear cmos? Or should I turn off the PSU ?

Guest EFiNi7

In regard to CS source, the same issue was happening to me, i went into steam and verified the game files and that seemed to fix it. But this is probably a seperate issue

Just because they are there:

Microsoft PATCH

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=896256

AMD Opteron PATCHES

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors...71_9033,00.html

Personally I do not use any of these patches. I had stuttering issues with my TV card, but setting the affinity to a single core fixed that issue.

Not sure if setting affinity will fix BF2 or not. To set affinity, start the game and then open WINDOWS TASK MANAGER, go to PROCESSES tab, Right click on the BF2 game process and choose AFFINITY. Uncheck one of the cores.

It looks like I already have that Microsoft hotfix done (that thing in the registry), I couldn't see a patch to download from there.

That AMD Opteron Patch link didn't work but I managed to find the page, but what do I need out of all these patches and utilities?

well doing memtest for 36 MINS!!!!!! that does not say anything about whether your memory is stable. run it for a whole day. then if youve got NO errors its stable. second, does your stuttering get worse the more you play, coz if it does it could be a cooling/overheating problem. possibly with your PSU, GPU or CPU. what are your temps like? can you check them in game?

well doing memtest for 36 MINS!!!!!! that does not say anything about whether your memory is stable. run it for a whole day. then if youve got NO errors its stable. second, does your stuttering get worse the more you play, coz if it does it could be a cooling/overheating problem. possibly with your PSU, GPU or CPU. what are your temps like? can you check them in game?

Yeah it seems to get worse the more I have my comp turned on. I think my temps are alright, the CPU is going up to about 50c maximum when playing games.

I'm not going to run MEMTEST all day just to find out my RAM is fine, I have a degree to work on.

I'm thinking of clearing my CMOS, because I didn't do so when I upgraded to this OCZ RAM.

BUT I DUNNO HOW TO DO IT! Everyone keeps posting how great it is, but no one actually says HOW to do it properly.

Do I turn off my PC, put the jumper to clear, then wait a while. AND THEN put it BACK to normal BEFORE booting? I really have no idea and it doesn't tell me in the manual which came with this board. Can anyone please help me out here?

turn off, remove battery, leave out for an hour, then replace, then turn back on.

if you cant be bothered to run tests properly, you wont ever know if somethings broken. im not havin a go at you, but high performance computers require A LOT of patience to get them right.