Kingston HyperX KHX3200ULK2/2G won't run at advertised latency of 2-2-

Last summer I upgraded to s939, HyperX khx3200ulk2/1g (2x512) and had same problems getting 2-3 mobos to run 2-2-2-5 1T.

The tightest timings on a Asus A8V (AV8?) mobo were 2-2-3-5 1T , with Trrd=3 (other setting in BIOS)

but...since I wanted to OC, I set timings 2-3-3-8 1T, and it finally OC'd (238MHz)

I'm never gonna buy Kingston again, dispite few nice reviews...

EDIT // my khx were specified to work 2-2-2-5 1T with 2.7v ...the "2.6v" is to make them work "at all"

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even with 2.8v they still fail to work at 2-2-2-5?

What happens if you do this?

GENIE BIOS Setting >DRAM Configuration

DRAM Frequency Set (MHZ).............200 (DRAM/FSB:1/01)

Command per clock (CPC)..............Enabled

Cas latency (tCL)....................2

RAS to CAS delay (tRCD)..............2

Min RAS active time (tRAS)...........5

Row precharge time (tRP).............2

Row cycle time (tRC).................11

Row refresh cycle time(tRFC).........14

Row to Row delay (tRRD)..............3

Write recovery time (tWR)............3

Write to read delay (tWTR)...........2

Read to write delay (tRWT)...........2

Refresh period (tREF)................AUTO

Write CAS latency (tWCL).............1

DRAM Bank Interleave.................Enabled

DQS Skew Control.....................AUTO

DQS Skew Value.......................0

DRAM Drive Strength..................AUTO

DRAM Data Drive Strength.............Auto

Max Async Latency....................6ns

Dram Response........................AUTO/Normal

Read Preamble Time...................5ns

Idle Cycle Limit.....................AUTO

Dynamic Counter......................AUTO

R/W Queue Bypass.....................AUTO

Bypass Max...........................AUTO

32 Byte Granularity..................AUTO

@Sharp: I just tried your settings, even at 2.8V, with no luck... Still locked up upon clicking "Start." I also tried leaving everything at its default settings with the exception of the 2-2-5-2 timings, and WinXP booted fine. It didn't lock up until I openned a browser window and clicked on "Start" at the same time. Seems it didn't like basic multitasking.

@CyberParasite: I now have the ram chips running on the orange slots.

@Triton.se: I'm running the ram at 2.7V constant now. Thanks for the tip!

So far, Lesaonar's recommended timings of 2-3-2-5 are working the best for me. Not the greatest, but at least it's stable with the exception of the occasional graphics black out in BF2. Maybe a new PSU will resolve this?

My new question is, is there much of a performance sacrifice by running at 2-3-2-5 vs. 2-2-2-5? I'm not much of an OC'er (at least not yet) but I'd like to at least get what I paid for. I ran an RMA to return these to save some money, but I'm ending up having to pay a $33 restocking fee to Newegg.com, throwing out any savings I'd have for going with other ram.

I'll just order the PSU for now and hold on the RMA of the ram. I'm placing an order for the OCZ OCZ600ADJSLI > 600W Power Supply. BUT I hope there's someone out there than can help me make sense of this ram issue before my window of RMA'ing closes. That restocking fee just kills me, otherwise I'd order the OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB) OCZ4002048ELDCPE-K, rated at 2-3-2-5 at 2.8V for more than $50 in savings over these Kingston HyperX's.

?

@Sharp: I just tried your settings, even at 2.8V, with no luck... Still locked up upon clicking "Start." I also tried leaving everything at its default settings with the exception of the 2-2-5-2 timings, and WinXP booted fine. It didn't lock up until I openned a browser window and clicked on "Start" at the same time. Seems it didn't like basic multitasking.

@CyberParasite: I now have the ram chips running on the orange slots.

@Triton.se: I'm running the ram at 2.7V constant now. Thanks for the tip!

So far, Lesaonar's recommended timings of 2-3-2-5 are working the best for me. Not the greatest, but at least it's stable with the exception of the occasional graphics black out in BF2. Maybe a new PSU will resolve this?

My new question is, is there much of a performance sacrifice by running at 2-3-2-5 vs. 2-2-2-5? I'm not much of an OC'er (at least not yet) but I'd like to at least get what I paid for. I ran an RMA to return these to save some money, but I'm ending up having to pay a $33 restocking fee to Newegg.com, throwing out any savings I'd have for going with other ram.

I'll just order the PSU for now and hold on the RMA of the ram. I'm placing an order for the OCZ OCZ600ADJSLI > 600W Power Supply. BUT I hope there's someone out there than can help me make sense of this ram issue before my window of RMA'ing closes. That restocking fee just kills me, otherwise I'd order the OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB) OCZ4002048ELDCPE-K, rated at 2-3-2-5 at 2.8V for more than $50 in savings over these Kingston HyperX's.

?

Well theres somthing to look at. if your gonna run stock no over clock that one thing with said 2-2-2-5. but the time you start to clock kiss that 2-2-2-5 good bye thats just the way it is. People spend way to much time messing with ram and the money spent and time dont mater IF you clock its 3-4-4-8 get over it. get to gaming . A64 dont care one way or the other so dont get hung up in the memory game and spend money after money to find out three month down the road when you really get to know your board and say man i wish i had that ram back. dont fight it. it will come to you . when you get a clear head. game and game some more . mess with it and get to gaming some more. set it at 2.5-2-2-5 and it will work like a charm

youll never see any differents in 2-3-2-5 vs. 2-2-2-5? in real world or benching or games. maybe 10 points in benching but i dout it. you raze your FSB by 20 and kiss that 2-3-2-5 good bye

:nod: good answer just get it running stableand whatever timing and get to gaming. The flickers could be multiple things but if you are memtest stable for 12 hrs it is not likly to be the memory.

Sounds like it is overpriced but that is life sometimes your call about returning it but it is going to be very hard to get to 222 with 2GB of memory on any board with any memory.

Get a good PSU that is one of the biggest things you can do for stability.

@msmolt: Thanks again for your insight. If there's not a "real" performance difference between the sublte changes in timings, I suppose the real issue is the ability of overclock. What would you suggest when I do decide to bump up the FSB? I've had good experiences with Corsairs in the past, and may go that route again, but I may have read somewhere the the "Expert" board doesn't play nice with Corsairs. Maybe I'll go with OCZ's? Everyone seems to favor those. I know different makers use different chips with varying degrees of overclockability. I'll bite the bullet and RMA the Kingston's when I decide which ram to replace it with, hopefully soon...

@johneverd: Those OCZ's are what I'm considering. But then they have these...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16820227084

which appear to have the same timings and voltage rating, but different heatspreaders. And then there's these...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16820227056

which have the same 2-3-2-5 timings, but lower voltage requirement (are these TCCD's?) Which of these 3 have any of you had experience with? Does the voltage difference of 2.6V vs. 2.8V make a difference in how much one can OC?

@joncrap: Thanks for the link to that thread. VERY helpful. Helped me come to grips with the fact that my Kingston's aren't gonna cut it.

@Smokin Joe: I just placed an order for the PCP&C 510 ASL to replace my Aspire. Should be here within the next few days. I figure going with a high quality PSU that puts out STABLE & CLEAN power, along with the 8 pin aux power connector that the "Expert" accommodates would solve any long term stability issues that I may encounter with the "Expert" board.

Now that I've got the PSU, next is the ram. Thanks for all your help everyone. Your feedback is greatly appreciated. It's forums like this and the support from enthusiasts like you all that make me glad that I spent the extra $$$ for a DFI board.

@msmolt: Thanks again for your insight. If there's not a "real" performance difference between the sublte changes in timings, I suppose the real issue is the ability of overclock. What would you suggest when I do decide to bump up the FSB? I've had good experiences with Corsairs in the past, and may go that route again, but I may have read somewhere the the "Expert" board doesn't play nice with Corsairs. Maybe I'll go with OCZ's? Everyone seems to favor those. I know different makers use different chips with varying degrees of overclockability. I'll bite the bullet and RMA the Kingston's when I decide which ram to replace it with, hopefully soon... .

("Expert" board doesn't play nice with Corsairs.)

theres a lot of spoiled ritch kids out there with this board being ther first board and first OC board. It ant gonna play nice to them

Theres nothing wrong with Corsair you just got to be smarter then the ram

:rolleyes:

Cant go wrong with G.Skill

Well IMPO you cant go by anything said here about ram ( even more so about corsair ) corsair got a myth that keeps getting dug up more so from people that has no clue what there taking about. I DONT DO HEAR SAY

90% of the people you see here dont have any idea what there doing. they dont take the time to learn what there doing. they come here looking for memory setting from other people and when they dont work GUESS what? yeap its the memory OR DFI boards fault. :rolleyes:

But hey it worked on my MSI ( them people need to go back to there MSI)

For you? well no mater what memory you get when you start clocking that board you can forget any timmings of 2.0 in less you are ok with running a mild OC as say 2.4MHZ 1:1 as soon as people get in there heads that timmings and divider dont mater and cpu mhz is the king.

And learn what there board likes ( now that takes months not hours or days) testing and testing. will they get to were I and 10 % of the people here now can do in a week or two.

take my OC theres some here that knows what i had to do and how long it took me. I have nothing but time. I got 24/7 to set here and I do 18/7 And i got zero help.

all fifteen of my posts I got 2 answers. When i signed onto the street I Had KVR enuff said NO one would help someone disrespecting a board like this :nod:

so to you alls i can say is dont sweet the memory game. when alls done your still going to be on a divider and lose butt timmings if you OC hard.

I beat i have 5 months of 18/7 in this STABLE OC. And S & M is not stable And super Pi is not stable. If you cant pass prime for 8 hours DO NOT say stable.

What i say about memory? if you get 1 gig sticks? it dont mater what name is on the sticks theres only 5 chips being used on 1 gig sticks. you can pay $150 or you can pay $350 what name do you wont? but when said and done they all do DDR500 at 3-4-4-8. And if you clock YOUR going to be on 3-4-4-8 till you get a stable OC and only then can you TRY to bring the timmings down some.

P.S Of the rest of you that might be reading this. If any of this is miss spelled or it hurt your eyes. sue me :rolleyes: