arctic freezer pro 64 -- am i doing something wrong?

anyone who owns an arctic freezer pro 64, and a DFI ultra-d board -- which direction is your fan blowing? to the rear of the case, or towards the PCI slots?

it seems like the mount isn't so stable if it is rotated 90 degrees to face the rear of the case, because all that's holding the bulk of the weight are those two little pegs.

it also doesn't make sense to have the fan blowing hot air towards the pci slots, but someone on another post said that that orientation will help PWMIC temps.

i got my arctic freezer pro 64 today, and have tried mounting with fan down, and then fan up. with fan towards pci slots, the pwmic load temps are waay too high, like 68-70 degrees. cpu load temps are the same as with stock hsf, at 49-51 degrees. with the fan blowing hot air towards the top of the case (there's a 120mm fan on top), pwmic load temps are much better, but my cpu load temps are still 49-50 degrees. i do notice that my idle temps are slightly better than stock HSF, from 37-38 to 34-35

am i doing something wrong? i am using Arctic Silver 5.

What are your ambient temps, becuse I think those temps are not good, especially for a AC frezeer 64. Mount the HSF with the fan blowing air at the I/O panel and drawing cold air from the 5"25 slots and thus cooling the PWM/IC.

it took me about a week with AS5 on my freezer 64 pro to settle temps down to respectable levels. i think temps dropped about 4-5C. give it a while -some people also say that the stock mx-1 compound is better to use than AS5 because the freezer 64 pro doesn't have a mirror finish on the bottom...

anyone who owns an arctic freezer pro 64, and a DFI ultra-d board -- which direction is your fan blowing? to the rear of the case, or towards the PCI slots?

it seems like the mount isn't so stable if it is rotated 90 degrees to face the rear of the case, because all that's holding the bulk of the weight are those two little pegs.

Mine is blowing towards the rear of the case, where I have an exhaust fan.

I had to take the whole thing apart to rotate it 90 degress, but the end result was just as stable as before. And really, blowing hot air at your VGA card or PSU just isn't a good idea.

i disassembled and rotated it so it's facing the rear of the case... idle temps are now 28-30 instead of 35-37 with stock HSF, and load temps are 44-45 instead of 49-51 with stock HSF.

i guess you just have to follow the instructions! :-)