Hottest Opteron 165 of all time?

Guest area51_merged

Guest caffeinejunkie
Guys i have another question sorry again...

Opteron 144 Overclocks more/ better than Opteron 165? or any single core better than dual core Opterons?

well it's hard to say really

It seems more that it's really luck of the draw

you cant just say omg every 144 hits 3ghz because it's just as simple as they all dont

ive seen people with settings that are "known" for 3ghz+ but they cant get it to budge past 2.6

it's just all luck of the draw

In my experience and from what ive seen single cores generally clock higher than dualcores

then again ive seen my fair share of dualcores hitting 3ghz+ so it's chance

go for 144 if you are into gaming

go 165 if you do alot of multi-tasking

either one can handle both gaming and multitasking but obviously they each have their stong and weak points

also you can consider that in the future most games should fully support dual core

either way im sure you'll be happy they would both be excellent cpus even at stock

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks again dude...

Im into gaming ... so i can say both are pretty good option for gaming right? but u say single core maybe be better in games

but in the other hand like u said soon new games will supoort dual core cpus. hmmm thats interesting.

If u Guys were gamers ... what would you buy? Single core Opteron or Dual core Opteron?

I am a gamer, and until last week I went single core all the way. I went from a 3200 venice at 2.6 to an opty 148 at 2.75 (3ghz stable) I ordered a 165 last week with monarch's coupon thinking that if I could get it to clock to 2.75 where I ran my 148 all the time it would be just as good at games today and better in the future. well, my 165 is currently at 320x9 for 2.88ghz OCCT stable on both cores and has now been running prime95 for 9 hours. I'm only at 1.4v with load temps of 36-37 (water) so I think I'll probably bump it up to 330x9 before I go to bed.

so, I would honestly say that if you have the extra money get a dual core. if not, then the 3700 SD/ opty 148 is the best thing going for single core.

and, several games that have come out in the last few months are optimized for dual core, so you will get some benefit in some games having a dual core today, it's not just futureproofing (if there is such a thing!)

Guest caffeinejunkie

Well single core will give you better performance right now because right now all games can fully use a single cores capabilities

dual-cores have the potential for alot of gaming power but most games right now just dont take advantage of it since they can only use one core at a time

but soon more games will come out that can effectively use both cores and it should be better for gaming

thats the best way I can put it

you could think of the 165 as future proofing

honestly if you setup two rigs next to each other one with the 144 and one with the 165 you probably wouldnt be able to tell the difference

Hi guys im new here. i have already made the choice im going for the DFI Nforce4 ultra-D Board. But i have a dilema in the procesor since i cant make my mind.

My budget is limited so i cannot afford a lot $$$$$ ive been thinking in the 3700+ (sandiego) or Opteron 144 Venus. Im looking forward to OC.. wich do you think its a better option for buying. Any other recomendation for CPU be welcome... Please do not recommend Dual opteron since they are 2 expensive $$$$ ...

Ive heard Opteron are pretty good Overclockers some say better than Athlon64.. i dunno that but any recomendation of any other Opteron will be welcome my budget for CPU cant pass the $240 limit =(.

Hope to see your recomendation guys

C ya.

Go look in the for sale section for a good deal.

Or get the 146 retail.

my 175 opty running 2.8 blows the doors off my opty 148 running 2.9

dual core opty for gaming cant be beat...imho

and yes, in general dual core cpu's are a tad harder to oc than single core...due to the fact most dual cores seem to have one core that is weaker.