Underpowered USB?

I recentally installed an Expert and a new power supply into my case, most everything is great. The only problem so far is with what I suspect as an underpowered usb.

I have an external 2.5 hard drive that can run via USB only on every other computer I've tried. When I plug my hard drive into any USB slot, the enclosure for the drive gives me a message telling me that the device is underpowered. Has anyone else experienced this with and Expert? Is there a fix for this besides spending money?

get a $20 powered USB hub..............or use the drives external power source (if it has one)

I have no experience with this problem as I do not have a USB drive that is not powered

Yeah and if the ethernet doesn't work just buy a PCI card, and if the sound module doesn't work just get a sound card!

Point is, it is just supposed to work. Getting a powered hub is not a fix, it's a workaround to a problem which shouldn't even exist.

Anyway, I have a 2.5 inch hdd in a USB enclosure, and it runs fine off of the USB ports. In fact, I can put the drive in, use my modded nintendo DS charge cable, an IR blaster and my wireless dongle thingy at once without problems.

I can think of no reason why it should be failing other than hardware failure at some point (logically this will be the PSU, the motherboard or the drive/enclosure itself).

Wait, I can. Check if the USB is set to use the 5V standby-rail. If so, your PSU might not deliver enough current for it.

EDIT: the manual will show a schematic of the motherboard with a jumper location and positions to switch between +5V rail and +5VSB rail. Note that there are 2 jumpers, one for the back USB ports, and one for the headerpins. Get the right one :)

Wait, I can. Check if the USB is set to use the 5V standby-rail. If so, your PSU might not deliver enough current for it.

EDIT: the manual will show a schematic of the motherboard with a jumper location and positions to switch between +5V rail and +5VSB rail. Note that there are 2 jumpers, one for the back USB ports, and one for the headerpins. Get the right one :)

I just finished looking at the jumpers, they're all set for 5v+ (non standby). I checked my psu's rails during operation, they're in working order (as far as voltage goes). And the enclosure works with every other computer I plug it into. :

Well lol at me. I just noticed the extra power attachment on the board right above the large pci-e slot. I'mma try plugging something into that. :X

Well lol at me. I just noticed the extra power attachment on the board right above the large pci-e slot. I'mma try plugging something into that. :X

@Hojoboba: probably won't make a difference but let us know as I am curious

@Trebaruna: take it easy there, you came across a bit harsh, but good point on the 5V or 5VSB jumper

After plugging in the extra power cable on the motherboard (above the pci-e slot) the rear usb inputs can now keep the external hard drive running. But the front usb inputs still cannot keep the hard drive running. :

Hmm... odd. While it should help with SLi, I don't think it does much else. Either way, even if it did it should work fine for *all* USB ports now.

Maybe try relieving the PSU for a test. Take out the second video card and see if that improves the situation. Alternately, try exchanging PSUs if you have a spare one. In other words, methodically try to determine which bit is failing.

@racinjimy: I didn't mean to be harsh per se, but I did find that initial suggestion a bit pointless. If I buy a high-end board I think I can expect the USB to be properly powered. Buying additional stuff to get it up to par shouldn't be necessary. Nothing personal though..!