No SLI Problem

lol, figure me for a stupid moron, but i recently got my SLI setup going with 2 BFG 7800GT's. the first problem i ran into was i forgot to switch all the damn jumper blocks in between the PCIe slots. the next issue was my drivers were really messed up, so i cleaned my system and then tried it again. i got into windows and installed the drivers, but then the screen went blank after i restarted my machine, right after the windows XP boot screen finished.

I fixed the problem using my laptop, and using ultraVNC to remote into my machine and enable SLI that way. for those of you who are asking why i did not use M$ terminal services client, thats because you cannot access the video settings via that, its a bummer.

SO after that i was finally up and running my SLI system without any problems. i think its BS that the screen goes blank after installing the latest nvidia drivers, which keeps you from enabling SLI (ironically enough, enabling SLI fixed the blank screen issue immediately after applying the settings).

so ya, try that if you can, check to make sure all the jumper blocks are switched and go from there!

~brin

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Judging by the post, I think I know what your issue is. This board has given me plenty of hell, though educatinal at the same time and I didn't mind the challenge.

Any way here what you could do to fix the issue:

Update you BIOS to the 11/02/2005 version, there are huge problems with your BIOS (12/07/2005) and SLi. Yes it is older then the one you are currently using, and I am not sure about the current version yet (4/06/2006), but I know for a fact the 11/2 BIOS works with SLi.

Second, if you are dowloading your nVidia drivers with that nVidia network monitor firewall thing, un-install it, it is known for corrupting files and could be botching your drivers.

Other then that try diffrent chip set drivers and GFX card drivers..

I am starting to worry that perhaps you damaged one of the cards? Artifacting like you described doesnt usually happen with dud drivers...

Have you tried completely uninstalling the drivers using DriverCleaner in safe mode? You should try that, then reboot with both cards installed, install the Nvidia drivers, then if all goes well it should give you a popup down by the clock saying SLI mode can be enabled. Enable it then reboot. Try that, I had some problems that were caused by 12/07 bios, and this method, along with reflashing back to 11/02 BIOS fixed it.

I second the idea to flash to the 11/02 bios. I used to run the 12/07 BIOS but had problems with crashes when playing BF2, HL2, COD2. After I flashed to the 11/02 about 10 weeks ago I haven't had any problems at all. There's a whole thread on crashes with the Expert while using SLI mode.

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread...74&page=1&pp=15

A lot of people switched their BIOS to the 11/02 version with good results.