Can't get dual channel working

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

clear cmos, try booting with one stick in orange only, and set optimized defaults. Then shutdown and install the second stick in an orange slot, and see if she kicks out dual channel then..

if i try to do just that after saving optimized defaults the screen just goes blank never boots back up. WTF/.

It seems like this is an Opteron problem. Most times I read about dual channel problems, the person has an opty. After all, the memory controller is on the CPU. Are there any beta or official bios' that are particularly friendly with opty's?

Alright I tested each stick individually in orange slot farthest from CPU. No errors for either in memtest, but will not boot in dual channel. Does anyone have any ideas?

I am currently using 704-2BTA. Isn't that an updated 704-bt? Shouldn't the official BIOS have no problem with dual channel kits that are known to work with these boards?

I hope you are right about the opteron being the culprit...

the culprit is the damn dfi board. i would pick up a different brand board ecs,abit,msi,,jetway, you know better companys? motherboards that actually work?

Unlike this pos i own in the picture>>>>http://img47.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture0036im.jpg

only way it will boot is by clearing cmos with red jumper after i get into bios and save optimized defaults pc will no longer boot wont run period! just

If you have this memory here >> 2 x OCZ 1GB PC3200 EL << you need to email this address... and get him to walk you thru checking to ensure that both of the memory sticks has the same SPD. And yes an opteron can give problems since a user or two has flatly stated his opty would not run dual channel but his regular 939 desktop cpu would do it easily.

RGone...

If you have this memory here >> 2 x OCZ 1GB PC3200 EL << you need to email this address... and get him to walk you thru checking to ensure that both of the memory sticks has the same SPD. And yes an opteron can give problems since a user or two has flatly stated his opty would not run dual channel but his regular 939 desktop cpu would do it easily.

RGone...

RGone, I have a problem with dual channel as well, it started today, getting a long single beep, i have been using your recommended settings http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5844 and been working fine for 2 months but now it wont boot with two sticks anymore, I notice you made a note that those settings may not work when using two sticks of ram, is there an adjustement i can make? both sticks boot when used individualy and have been working fine in dual channel for months, and they pass memtest when tested individualy, is there adjustements i can make in those settings that could allow it to boot with two sticks again?

-Whacky