Plz help with OCZ PC4000VX Overclock!

T-rock

Hi, I'm new to the overclocking game and I'm having trouble. This is what I've done so far:

Sempron 3100 @ a relatively stable OC to 2.7Ghz (300x9) on stock HSF (1.65v), on a

DFI LanParty UT 250GB NF3. Upon settling with that I lowered the multi to 7x for 2100 Mhz. Now I can't even run my 1gb OCZ PC4000 VX at anything acceptable. Right now it generates 54 errors at 90-99% Test 5 in memtest. Worst of all, here are the settings: 166 (233mhz) at 3-4-3-8 2T @3.17v !!!! That is absolutely horrible. This is advertised at 250mhz, 2-2-2-5 with 3.3v. Now my mobo can't do 3.3, but 3.1 is close enough to not have my results. I was really hoping for at least 250mhz 1T without the tight timings advertised because of lack of voltage. And I would LOVE to hit 300mhz. So please help me, I would really appreciate it! Oh btw, what is some good ddr600 ram, and do 2gb ddr600 exist?

T-rock,

Welcome to the Street. You came to the right place for support on your DFI board and your oc challenge. To start off read this The Definitive DFI AMD Overclocking Guide. Get your max Mhz (speed) for your CPU and Memory. Then start asking questions but most of all be patient and have fun.

You may want to try one stick at a time in memtest to rule out a bad stick.

Also check Stock Speed Database and the Overclocking Database to see other peoples settings. This should get you pointed in the right direction.

tasr :)

The difference between 3.1 volts and 3.3 is quite abit when talking about BH-5 and trying to loosen the settings is not going to work. I don't see any other timings listed so I am going to guess they are all on auto and that will not get you anywhere close to 250. 300 with BH-5 will never happen as the record right now is 283 with over 3.7 volts. First you will need to work at getting it stable at 200, with about 2.8 or 2.9 volts.

Try setting up like this and see what you get and how far you can push it with 3.1 volts.

Command Per Clock (CPC) - Enable

CAS Latency Control (Tcl) - 2

RAS# to CAS# delay (Trcd) - 02 Bus Clocks

Min RAS# active time (Tras) - 8 Bus Clocks

Row precharge time (Trp) - 02 Bus Clocks

Row Cycle time (Trc) - 08 Bus Clocks

Row refresh cyc time (Trfc) - 16 Bus Clocks

Row to Row delay (Trrd) - 02 Bus Clocks

Write recovery time (Twr) - 03 Bus Clocks

Write to Read delay (Twtr) - 02 Bus Clocks

Read to Write delay (Trwt) - 03 Bus Clocks

Refresh Period (Tref) - 3072 Cycles

Write CAS Latency (Twcl) - 1 clk

DRAM Bank Interleave - Enabled

DQS Skew Control - Auto

DQS Skew Value - 0

DRAM Drive Strength - Level 4

Max Async Latency - 7ns

Read Preamble Time - 5ns

IdleCycle Limit - 16 Cycles

Dynamic Counter - Disable

R/W Queue Bypass - 8 x

Bypass Max - 04 x

32 Byte Granularity - Disable(8 Bursts)

This will at least give you a starting point and you can start to tune from there.

After some considerable experience with VX there are some things that you should be aware of with regards to it.

1)it has got a very high failure rate, so be prepared for the worst.

2)when it runs well, it really flies.

3)it will not run at Cas3 under any circumstances, so i'm not surprised you are seeing memtest errors.

4)it really only likes running at Cas2, infact it only likes running at 2-2-2-5 1t on NF4's(probably the same on NF3's).

If you can only give it 3.1vdimm, then your only real option is to run it at 200htt at 2-2-2-5 1t. Try those timings and vdimm.

@CPDMF, VX is'nt BH-5 it's UTT-CH5.

Wow, thanks for the fast replies...

No, none of my other settings are on auto, I was just getting your initial impressions. I had it CAS 2 but recieved errors, so went to 3, but yes I will change it back. I will start testing from the example above.

@tasr:

thats what I was in the process of, finding the max of memory. I thought a good place to start was to put in on a divider and run it at 233 with FSB still 300. And lol I pretty much copied that guide word to word on paper so it would all sink in.

Thanks for all the help, I'm going to try those settings right now, so I'll keep you posted.

Guest Blooz1

Last summer I tried running VX in the 250Gb with mixed results. These are settings I used with 1x512 and an OCZ Booster;

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...44&postcount=13

Although the board was set at 3.1V when these tests were run, it had been running with this setup for 3-4 weeks at 3.4V before I tried turning it down. The Booster was still plugged in during this testing. (Note that I was running a 5/6 divider with the ram at 242MHz)